{Part 17}

~Videl~

It had been three long days since her call with Kane, and Videl still hadn't heard a word from him. She worried that, perhaps, he had talked to Lars who might have convinced him that she was lying. Maybe her worst fears had been realized, and Kane didn't believe her. Too afraid to go to the Grocery now, she went to the Cafeteria for every meal, and held out a shred of hope that she would see Kane or Dare. Although, she was as hopeful to see them as she was terrified to run into Lars instead. But none of them showed. The third day, she was so desperate to run into the two of them that she went to the Gym that morning. She couldn't go past the Gym manager's desk without a membership, so she just had to look around from there, but they weren't in the Gym, either. Or if they had been, they'd already left. 

Videl was brushing her hair in the guest bathroom of her private quarters - her own reflection staring back at her with pity - when a beep sounded at the door.

"V?" Sienna's voice called from the living room.

"Sienna?" Videl called back, going to meet her. When Sienna leapt at her and grabbed both her hands, Videl jumped in surprise.

"Did you hear?" Sienna asked, practically squealing with excitement. "Everybody is talking about it!"

"Talking about what?" Videl was at a complete loss, but Sienna's grin made her smile.

"Two guys trespassed on the Athletics practice field, and beat Lars to a bloody pulp! He's in Med-Bay right now!" Sienna's green eyes twinkled as she told her the news. Videl's heart plummeted to her stomach, and her jaw dropped. 

"And you are not  going to believe this - I'm not even sure believe it, but I heard . . . one of them was Kane!" 

Videl's head was spinning. She had to sit down. In a daze, she broke away from Sienna's hold and sank into the couch. Sienna's grin dropped from her face, and she joined Videl on the couch, concern furrowing her brows.

"V, I'm sorry, I thought you'd be happy," Sienna looked absolutely bewildered at her reaction.

"I am - really." Videl snapped out of her stupor, shaking her head. "I just - " She cut herself off and lifted her hands, only to let them fall back in her lap. Then, she spilled everything to Sienna that she'd kept to herself. How she'd come to be friends with Kane and Dare, and how they'd been there for her. The Aviary/Arboretum, the incident in Grocery, the steak cook-off, her phone call with Kane. When Videl finished telling her all that had happened, Sienna's reaction surprised her.

"Oh my Stars!" Sienna gasped. "You like him! You like Kane!"

Videl blushed profusely. "What? I - "

"You do!" Sienna giggled. "Wow! Kane . . . " She seemed to be mulling it over in her mind.  "Hmm, I never imagined - but then, I guess you did think he was kind of hot, before . . . " She trailed off, but it was clear what she'd left unsaid. Before the party. Before Videl hated him.

"It's so weird to see you blush, V," Sienna said. "And over a guy? Your first crush - I never thought I'd see the day."

Videl threw her pink blanket over her face to hide from Sienna's knowing gaze, and Sienna just laughed. After a moment, Videl pulled the blanket off and smiled sheepishly.