Chapter 35 - Never speak of it again

Wriothesely's POV

 So, no picture of the mini dragon.

 Ugh...

 That hurts my soul!

 "So that is what you three think happened." Neuvillette mumbled after listening to our conclusion.

 "How accurate do you think it is?"

 "About 80-85%? I'm not quite sure myself as this is the first time something like this has happened. While I think most of your deductions are accurate, there are some other factors at play here as well."

 Well, 80-85% is quite good for a first guess, if I say so myself.

 Now that that's done and over with...

 "We should finish yesterday's conversation, no?"

 He visibly flinched and I had the urge to take back my words.

 "I doubt I could offer you an adequate response, Wriothesely." 

 "You can't just say something like that and not give an explanation."

 I want an explanation and I want it now.

 "As far as I can tell that warning was more instinctual than a conscious decision. That would also explain my lack of recollection of what I said."

 "Instinctual?"

 "It is only natural to warn others against touching what one holds dear. Especially if the circumstances do not permit the death of the offender should they try again."

 Wait, wait, wait.

 "What did you say?"

 "Which part do you mean? Is this about the death of-"

 "No, not that."

 The part about...

 About...

 About how you...

 "You hold me dear?"

 "Have I not made that blatantly obvious?" He asked blankly.

 Huh?

 What?

 "No?"

 Just what would have made that obvious?!

 He frowned, falling deep in thought as he started to mumble.

 "I thought that allowing you into my home when the children were around would have sufficed as a show of that, but perhaps humans express such thing with different methods... Though... I also allowed physical contact and I'm sure that holds some significance to humans...

 "Wait, wait, Neuvillette. What exactly do you mean by holding me dear in the first place?" 

 I would rather not get my hopes up for nothing. 

 ...

 Not that I have hopes for anything!

 "How should I put this... I'm not sure quite yet, I simply decided that I dislike the thought of you getting hurt to an alarming extent."

 "Alarming?"

 That's quite an interesting wording.

 "Alarming as in I'm not sure how far I would go to prevent it from happening. Quite the interesting experience this is."

 He seemed to fall deep in thought be I-

 What am I supposed to make of this?!

 Does he like me or not?!