Chapter 21 | Sadie saves the day

-*-*-

After watching Tracy climb back through her window, me and Evie sneak into my house and up the stairs. It's 7 a.m. so, my dad will have already taken Eliza to a babysitter and should be heading to work as my brother will still be asleep. He usually sleeps till about 10 at the earliest. We mess the bed up to make it look as if we slept in it before wiping most of our makeup off and changing into Pajamas before collapsing into bed. We go downstairs at 10 a.m and into the kitchen and find my dad and Sadie there. The side door is wide open and my brother stands outside in a wet suit.

"I thought you had work," I say to my dad as I open the freezer.

"I've been really stressed lately, so, Sadie recommended I take the day off," my dad replies.

"Oh, mk."

Evie takes the spoons out of the freezer, "Just go like this..." she says, placing two spoons on her eyes.

I grab two spoons and do the same, "It's really cold," I say, jumping at the feeling of the cold metal against my undereye.

Sadie and my dad go into the living room.

Me and Evie laugh as we hold the spoons to our eyes.

"Brooke does this every morning, and she still has huge bags!" Evie laughs.

Me and Evie laugh as we hold the spoons there for a few minutes before I place the spoons on the side. Evie keeps them on her eyes, however.

"I wonder how much of this you have to swallow for it to kill you," I say, picking up the bleach and gesturing to drink it.

Sadie comes into the kitchen and stands at the door, she beckons my brother over, "Jay!" she shouts.

He comes inside.

"This family needs some healing," Sadie says.

"Evie, your mother's phone's disconnected," my dad says.

"Jacob, she's not my mom," Evie replies, "She's my cousin. My mom was a crack whore," she adds.

My dad stands there, completely lost on what to say next as Sadie and Jay stand beside him with a similar expression.

Sadie sighs, "Okay. Everybody just take a deep breath," she instructs before turning to Evie, "Evie, honey, do you have a friend that you could stay with for a few days? I think this family needs some alone time."

"I'm the one that's here every day trying to make the situation better!" Evie says.

My brother stands awkwardly as his friend waits outside, "Look, Dad, there's a huge swell. I-I gotta get poundin'!" he says, shuffling out the door. 

"Yeah, son, go," my dad replies. 

Evie's phone rings.

"Phone!" I shout.

"Hold on, hold on!" Sadie says.

"Hello?" Evie says before she smiles, "It's Mo!" handing me the phone.

I place it to my ear, "Hey!" I say as Evie squeals. 

We begin to leave the room as Sadie grabs Evie's wrist, "Evie, honey, let's talk about you for just a minute, okay?" Sadie says, "I need to make sure-"

"Sadie, are you a board-licensed therapist?" Evie asks.                      

"Okay, we'll come over. How long is she gone?" I ask, quietly into the phone as I stand in the living room half listening to Mo and half listening to Sadie, Evie, and my dad.

"She's done a lot of great things, not just for me but for others," my dad says.

I go into the kitchen, "She thinks she is a psychic," I laugh.

"Sadie, I can handle this..." my dad says.

"You know, I should, um-I should be getting back to work," Sadie says, grabbing her bag.

"7 tonight at Nona's?

"Yes," he replies. 

"KK, bye," I say to Mo before hanging up.

Sadie leaves the house, finally.

My dad walks over.

"Y/n..."

"Sadie can handle it, Dad," I laugh, mocking him.

-*-*-