THE LAST PHILOSOPHER

by @NickfEast

Intriguing; explores an interesting trope

Chapters: 79
Genre: Fantasy; Science Fiction
Star rating: 4/5 stars
Review by: @Kitten_Kraze

The Last Philosopher is a book set in a world of magick, sorcerers, politics and new creatures. The maps accompanied with the various quotes provided for us make it feel as if you are in the story watching as it all unfolds before your eyes. Not only that, but the book is written with rich diction and some humour as well.

We are introduced to the character of Herschel and we read of his journey across the desert. He has escaped prison and we read of all his different experiences and how he persevered for months. The people he comes across are all introduced with ease and their accents are even outlined in the dialogue, something which a reader can appreciate greatly.

More about Empris and specifics of the world we have been inmersed into are explained bit by bit, never hurriedly and information is never given in an overwhelming amount. We uncover new things slowly and in a well-paced manner. It's also very interesting to read about the characters' thoughts as well as learn the different customs of the people in this book.

I like how the author was able to not lose the plot or the storyline along the way. Instead, they managed to keep us interested to the very end. The Last Philosopher is written with great detail and vivid descriptions that allow you to see things that have been described as if they are right in front of you.

For those who are interested in science fantasy books, I can highly recommend this one to you. Although the chapter count is high, the chapters themselves are not too long. They are straight to the point and leave you wanting more. It is also very fascinating reading about the politics and history of Empris and learning more about it.

Recommendation:

For those looking for a good science fiction book with humour and new creatures