𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐭 ; m. schmidt

ˢᵃᵘᵈᵃᵈᵉ

mike schmidt 𝔁 fem! reader
𝕗𝕚𝕧𝕖 𝕟𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥𝕤 𝕒𝕥 𝕗𝕣𝕖𝕕𝕕𝕪'𝕤

❝ i don't want to sleep...
i want to be with you. ❞

𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐰𝐨𝐤𝐞𝐧 𝐛𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐮𝐭𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐭 𝐝𝐨𝐨𝐫. Squeezing your eyes briefly as if to push the sleep out of them, you peeled them open to find the source of the noise.

Mike had entered the house, sighing deeply with hunched shoulders as he gently placed the keys in the tray bowl by the front door before shrugging off his coat and placing it on the chair of the kitchen table.

You rose from the couch, stretching your arm upwards as you yawned, the action catching Mike's attention. He smiled gently, walking over as you greeted him softly, "Hey."

"Hi," he murmured, leaning down to press a kiss to your forehead. Your lips lifted at the affectionate gesture, watching as he leaned back to sit on the wooden coffee table. "How's Abby?"

"She's okay," you answered. "Got up in the middle of the night asking for you, so I had to tuck her in again. But she's been fine since then."

Mike hummed at your answer, quickly standing and making his way over to Abby's bedroom. Gently, he opened the door and peaked in, finding her sleeping soundly, face stuffed into the neck of her favorite stuffed animal.

He nodded to himself, before walking back out into the living room. Eyes focusing on your form, Mike watched you for a moment; the way you sat up in the couch with your palms rubbing the sleep from your eyes, hands gracing over your phone to check for any messages. You were dressed in one of his shirts, a graphic design of an old video game he used to like plastered on the center. 

"Good shift?" you called out, standing up from the worn couch. 

"Tiring," he answered. 

"You took your tablets again, didn't you?"

You were watching him with squinted eyes, and he glanced away, heading into the kitchen as if that could help evade your question. 

"Maybe."

"Mike."

"I had to, okay?" Mike turned around, arms crossing over his chest as he leaned against the countertop. You leant your hip against the entryway, hands resting at your other side with a speculative eyebrow raise. 

"You're a security guard, Mike," you sighed. "It's kind of your job to watch over the place. You can't just sleep it off. What if someone broke in?"

"I doubt someone would break into an abandoned pizza diner, baby," he shrugged off. 

"People can be weird," you retorted in return.