Chapter 10: Sunset

"Wells! NO!"

The scream came from the pit of Mackenzie's stomach. It was broken, full of the deep emotion of grief, scratching her throat raw. Grief was more than a feeling, Mackenzie realized. It tore apart her insides, it let her wanting to bring Wells back but king there was absolutely nothing she could do. Wells was gone.

The words repeated in Mackenzie's head again and again. It was like an echo, as she cradled Wells head in her hands. She pleaded, God, no, pleas, anyone but Wells. But her skin was beginning to drench in bloody and she would scrub her skin raw later to get the color off, but right now she grieved in dry sobs. There was so much blood, and she was beginning to think she was soaking in it. She could feel nothing, but everything all at once. All she wanted was from him to wake up, make his dark eyes blink a few times, and light up in the color full of love she's always known. But Wells wasn't going to wake up, and Mackenzie knew that. She didn't want to.

Mackenzie didn't realize she was screaming until she was joined by Clarke and Bellamy, and a few other delinquents gasping and watching in the distance. Mackenzie couldn't look up. She couldn't stop screaming, so rough and broken, but made out no words. It was just endless, painful wails of her best friend's name as she stroked the side of his face, leaving blood trails against the dark skin. The world around Mackenzie feels as if it had gone silent, no birds chirping, no trees shaking in the breeze, nothing except the mixtures of sobs and screams.

Where was Mackenzie? She should have stayed, she thought. She should have insisted to Wells that she could help, or even dug the grave herself. Wells was dead, and it was her fault. She promised to protect him, watch out for him. She needed him, here, not gone. Mackenzie should have saved him. They were supposed to have more time together, spent looking after the other delinquents. But she was left alone now.

Wells was dead.

Another scream tore from Mackenzie's throat.

———————————————————————————

Three Days Later

The mud dug into Mackenzie's knees, staining her pants as she knelt down in front of the familiar gravel. She stuck the shovel in it as s tombstone and decorated it in flowers for his memory, Wells' memory. She didn't remember burying him, it was a moment too emotional and painful as his body was lowered into the ground. Mackenzie drew a shaky breath, still unable to believe it, despite residing in from of his grave. She knew Clarke was worried about Mackenzie isolating herself, unmoving from Wells grave unless she really had to. But she didn't care.

Mackenzie carried guilt, a heavy weight, but there was more. She blamed herself most of all. She told herself repeatedly that if she insisted on helping Wells dig the grave, he'd still be alive. Or even if she dug it herself, allowing Wells to go rest, maybe the grounder would have attacked her instead and she's be the one buried. Remembering the blood coating her skin, pouring from the wound on Wells' neck, a single tear streamed down her cheek. Mackenzie wanted it to have been her. At least this pain of sorrow would go away, but she knew it would only land on Wells.

The sound of footsteps behind her didn't make Mackenzie move. She ignored them, instead reaching out and gently touching the last purple flower set over the grave. It felt electric, striking her with sparks of more agony. She was never going to stop mourning Wells, and his memory was going to live in Mackenzie, she was sure. It was up to her to protect Clarke and the other delinquents, to show them ways of peace that Wells could not.

"Mack" Her name being spoken hardly made Mackenzie flinch, "Mackenzie, please come back inside" She knew it was Clarke, voice laced with sympathy, knowing she was taking this death harder, "The grounders can show up, and..."
"And stab me like they did Wells?" Mackenzie finished for Clarke, dull and lifeless. She didn't make a move to turn around and face her, "Let them"