Chapter 22: Like a Family

The last few days have been a whirlwind of trouble and chaos for the delinquents. After the Exodus ship crashed, they went and looked over the wreckage, let's just say the smell is burned into Mackenzie's nostrils. When they arrived back at camp, to utter surprise of Mackenzie, Murphy was back. He said he had escaped the grounders and was running for his life, but Mackenzie didn't trust him. Bellamy wanted to kill him, but even if he's a terrible person, he doesn't deserve to die.

But, with what happened next, Mackenzie wished they killed him when they had the chance. The grounders used Murphy as a vessel to carry a virus that infected most of the camp, including Clarke, Mackenzie, Raven and others.

Luckily, Octavia talked to the grounder, her grounder, who Mackenzie learned is named Lincoln. He told her that the virus will pass, thank god, but it was a warning. The grounders attack at first light.

——————————————————————————————

Mackenzie had always thought if she had one skill, it was technology. Her favorite feeling was keys on a board flying as she typed, watching the screen light up with each hit. On Earth, without any computers, she deemed herself quite useless and one of the first to die when the threat of the grounders rose. However, that changed quickly when Mackenzie recognized her inner worth.

She had realized just how much she loved helping people; yes she knew that and was training in medical before being sent down; but she forgot just how much she loves helping people, medical or otherwise. Learning even more new skills from Clarke, or spending pass time in Raven's tent and assisting her when allowed.

With chemistry being Raven's weakest skill, and one of Mackenzie's favorite subjects in classes, they flowed well when working on the bullets as Jasper was busy with guns and Monty was busy with wires.

The smell of gunpowder filled Mackenzie's nose, which was something she had been getting used to despite the distaste for it, "Careful" Raven spoke up in warning, "Try not to get any on your hands. Might become a walking mine"

A smile twitched on the corner of Mackenzie's mouth, having heard this more than once. Raven was more skilled, while her own movements were less steady, yet improving with each day, "I got it" Mackenzie replied reassuringly shifting for a more comfortable position and tightening her muscles to keep her hands more steady.

The tent's flap suddenly swung open, Finn making his presence known with a surprised noise at the sight of Mackenzie. She turned her head, brown curls flying to the other side as she met his confused gaze that wiped away when realizing she was staring, "Sorry" Finn quickly apologized, "I just-could I have a minute alone with Raven?"

Mackenzie's eyes flickered to Raven. It didn't take a true genius to really know what had happened two days before, when the sickness hit Raven, who had turned out to know about Clarke and Finn's fling. She didn't question it but could see the break up had happened by the way she avoided him, even refusing to meet his eyes. Here, Mackenzie could practically feel the awkwardness in the air but made sure Raven was all right to be left alone with Finn before leaving with a nod, brushing past Finn and being hit with the welcoming fresh air.

Being no longer ill had been the best feeling Mackenzie had felt on Earth, and not coughing up blood was a huge plus. With her job being interrupted, her mind whirled with what else to do until Finn was finished discussing the topic they've both tried to avoid. She knew everyone was working twice as hard since they've landed, ever since the bomb on the bridge, the fear of the grounders bringing a war settling a terror in them. Mackenzie was prepared to find Clarke, or even Bellamy, when her head snapped in the direction of a sudden shouting.