My Roommates Are Apprentices?

Once Phil sent Tommy away with Puffy to give him a quick tour, George stood from his spot on the floor and stretched out his limbs. It was still scary how easily the man could pretend to be asleep when he wanted to. Of course, the entire room minus Tommy knew George wouldn't actually be asleep; but he was always pretty damn convincing.

Phil shuffled the papers he and Tommy had filled out together, and stuck them into a binder as the man approached. He looked fidgety, and when he lifted his goggles, his eyes were conflicted. That wasn't good.

"George?" He prompted quietly.

The man bit his lip, glancing towards the door that Tommy and Puffy had gone through several minutes ago by now. "..He's not acting right." He whispered, making Phil pause. "He's..Nervous. Jumpy." He shook his head. "I dunno, it's not right."

Phil frowned. "He's new..It makes sense that he'd be nervous around us. It'll take time for him to adjust."

George shook his head. "That's not it..He's cagey. Like he's afraid of being trapped. Like if he makes a single mistake, his life is in danger."

Phil took a deep breath, glancing in the direction Tommy had left.

He'd noticed something off about Tommy as well. Not at first, but he couldn't miss the way Tommy would wince when stepping into an elevator; like he wasn't 100% sure he'd be able to get out.

Or the way the kid stood like a soldier. Like he was meant to be seen, but not heard. The way he kept his face blank and tone neutral. Like he was meant to follow orders without question.

It was a bit unsettling. Made Phil feel like Tommy was being watched by unseen eyes- and it made him want to find those eyes and tell them to knock it off so the kid could actually relax.

In fact, Phil would argue the only bit of the real, relaxed Tommy any of them have seen of him was when he teased Wilbur. When he'd cracked a crooked smile and called Phil's youngest son a boomer. It was endearing. And if the way Puffy had lit up at the display of his personality had been any indication, his fellow board members felt the same.

Tommy just needed time to adjust. He needed time to understand he didn't need to be a robot. That he could- and should -be his own person. Have his own personality. That he could have his own thoughts and ideas without the threat of being in trouble.

"And his fighting." George continued, unaware of the thoughts floating around Phil's head. "I've seen a lot of different fighting techniques from the Academy- and what that kid didn't do any of it. It looked like he genuinely believed he was fighting for his life."

Phil had noticed that as well. The way his hands shook and his eyes darted around like he needed a fast escape or was planning for a makeshift weapon in case something happened. It reminded Phil of Techno when he'd first started to foster him. A 13 year old kid with angry powers he couldn't control. Always looking to escape an unseen fight. Always scanning the room for an out like he was 2 seconds away from being shot at. It made Phil's heart ache, and sent a ripple of unease through his wings.