Chapter 2

▪️G O L N A R▪️

Fated to the Fae King?

My mind raced with the implications of such a revelation and what that would mean for me. How could any of this be possible?

Tilting my head slightly, I allowed myself to really take in Alaric's appearance. As the evening light danced upon his raven-black hair, it was imbued with a subtle sheen that seemed to mirror the depths of a moonless night.

His countenance exuded a regal air, a captivating blend of strength and grace. Every movement was deliberate, every step measured, speaking of a man who held the weight of his realm with a steady hand. His finely chiselled features bore the traces of wisdom earned through trials, and a noble bearing that hinted at a lineage steeped in ancient tradition.

Alaric's eyes, a vivid shade of green, were like lush oases amidst the dark pools of his hair. They held a depth that seemed to hold the secrets of forests untamed, a gaze that could pierce through the veils of deceit and discern the truth within. They sparkled with an intelligence tempered by the harsh realities of ruling a kingdom.

To my dismay, I found myself unable to deny the handsomeness that accompanied Alaric's presence. I had never in my life found anyone attractive before, yet here I was, admiring the Fae King standing in front of me.

As someone who had never experienced sexual attraction before, I had always navigated the world with a unique perspective. While physical attraction was a foreign concept to me, I could still appreciate the captivating essence of a person, and Alaric exuded a commanding presence that was impossible to ignore.

It was more than just physical appeal though; he had an aura that drew people in, an indefinable magnetism that made him a figure of both admiration and respect. For me, however, there seemed to be an added layer to this allure. Deep within my chest, I felt the thrum of a connection that transcended mere admiration.

A part of me wondered why I felt a certain awe in his presence. Was this a side effect of being his fated mate?

I did not know much about the Fae and their traditions, at least not in depth. Yet, one thing I was aware of was the sanctity they placed upon the concept of a mate bond. Stories had circulated, cautionary tales of mates who, despite being bound by destiny, did not always find affection in each other's company.

Before I could make sense of it all, Alaric's voice, resonant and commanding, cut through my swirling thoughts like a beacon in a storm.

"Why are you hesitating to come to my side, Golnar?" Alaric enquired.

Frowning slightly, I took a moment before formulating my reply, "I just want to make sure that you won't go back on your word, especially since your past negotiations with my kind have been full of trickery and lies."

"Enough blood has been spilled," the Fae King admitted. "I promise, the devastation ends here, today. There is a way to cease this senseless war and spare your realm from further destruction."

"And what is this way?" Baldur asked, his tone demanding.

Alaric's answer hung in the air, heavy and foreboding. "As I just said, hand Golnar over to me and everything will be fine. She is my fated mate, bound to me by ancient ties. In return, like I promised, I will order my forces to stand down, and the conflict will end. Your kingdom will be spared."

I felt a shiver race down my spine as his words settled in.

Even though he had said it earlier, the revelation of our fated bond was now settling in and it hit me like a tidal wave, a mixture of astonishment and uncertainty surged through my body, leaving me momentarily breathless.