Chapter 13

▪️G O L N A R▪️

Standing in the courtyard, my heart quickened with anticipation as the distant echoes of hooves and the rustling leaves announced the arrival of Mahala and Izara.

The flowers seemed to sway in rhythm with my excitement, their delicate petals catching the soft breeze that carried their scent into the atmosphere. Each blossom, a vibrant burst of colour, mirrored the kaleidoscope of emotions bubbling within me.

Alaric stood next to me, his tall and regal figure casting a protective shadow. The light from the sun accentuated his features, highlighting the intricate details of his attire. His presence exuded a quiet strength, a palpable assurance that brought a sense of comfort to my being.

"The courtyard seems to hold its breath in anticipation today," he remarked, his eyes reflecting the shared excitement.

Nodding in agreement, I observed the enchanted surroundings, "Yes, it's as if every flower is aware of the significance of Mahala and Izara's arrival."

His gaze met mine, a warmth emanating from his vibrant green eyes, "I look forward to welcoming them."

A smile was about to grace my lips as I prepared to respond, but the moment was interrupted by the resounding sound of orc horns.

It was then that a small band of orcs appeared in the distance, their formidable presence announcing their arrival as they led an intricately adorned carriage. Traditionally, these warriors travelled on large horses or massive wolf-like creatures known as Vhargs. Today was no exception, as the courtyard echoed with the rhythmic hooves of horses and the deep, resonant steps of the Vhargs.

Usually, orc bands would be accompanied by the occasional Amphitere rider soaring through the skies above, their majestic wings cutting through the air. However, today, the sky remained clear—a gesture of goodwill to the fae. King Baldur, ever mindful of potential tensions, harboured no desire to stir trouble by inviting creatures that might seem menacing to the Fae realm.

The intricate details of the carriage bespoke craftsmanship and care, a symbol of the significance of its passengers. As the caravan approached, a hushed silence descended upon the courtyard. The Fae present, captivated by the spectacle, watched in fascinated awe.

I could not help but marvel at the blend of strength and elegance displayed by the orc escorts. As the carriage approached, Mahala's voice, a melody of warmth, reached my ears, instantly lifting my spirits.

It would seem that Mahala could not contain her excitement for as the carriage drew even closer, she stuck her head out of the window and screamed happily at the sight of me, her exuberant greeting echoing through the courtyard.

As the carriage came to a graceful halt, the door creaked open, and I could barely contain my excitement as my best friends emerged.

Mahala, a beacon of joviality with her smooth dark brown skin and tightly braided black hair, stepped out first. Her infectious laughter and warm presence added a light-hearted charm to the courtyard, reflecting the camaraderie and joy she brought with her. The sight of her intricate braids adorned with delicate beads reminded me of times in the past when I would help her with her hair.

Following her, Izara, a lighter shade of brown with lively curls cascading over her shoulders, stepped onto the enchanted ground. Despite being a human, Izara radiated an otherworldly energy, her magical powers evident in the subtle glimmers that danced in her wake. The flowers seemed to sway in a silent welcome, acknowledging both her vibrant spirit and the unique magic she brought to the Fae realm.

Rushing forward, a surge of joy bubbled within me as I enveloped Mahala and Izara in a tight embrace. The weight of anticipation lifted from my shoulders, replaced by the comforting embrace of familiarity. The warmth of their presence filled the spaces that time and distance had created.