Chapter 22

▪️G O L N A R▪️

In the weeks that followed, the preparations between orcs and Fae took an unexpected turn, as the once tentative alliance began to blossom into something more profound and transformative than anyone had anticipated.

At first, the collaboration between our peoples was marked by a cautious optimism, a shared commitment to defend our lands and vanquish the looming threat that had brought us together. The orcs and Fae worked side by side, sharing knowledge, resources, and strategies as we prepared for the inevitable confrontation with the unknown enemy.

It was a sight to behold as the orcs, with their unmatched strength and resilience, worked alongside the Fae, weaving their magic into the very fabric of our fortifications.

Under the Orc King's leadership, he brought with him an army of skilled craftsmen and engineers, their knowledge of siege warfare and defensive tactics proving invaluable as we fortified our borders against the looming threat. Together, orcs and Fae worked tirelessly, day and night, to build towering ramparts and formidable battlements, their combined efforts transforming the once vulnerable Fae Kingdom into an impregnable fortress.

It was midday, the warm rays of the sun streaming through the window, casting a golden glow over the war room. We were gathered around a large table, the polished surface gleaming in the sunlight, as we discussed our next moves.

Alaric's voice cut through the air, "We must prepare for the next attack."

I nodded in agreement, "Yes, with the help of King Baldur, we have strengthened our defences and fortified our borders, but we can't afford to let our guard down."

The Orc King's insisted, "We must also be prepared to strike back. We can't allow the enemy to dictate the terms of this conflict anymore."

Izara's calm presence brought a sense of reassurance. "Over the last few days, we have managed to gather intelligence on the rebels' movements and intentions," she stated, her voice steady and composed. "However, the mastermind behind everything remains elusive. We must uncover their identity. Knowledge is our greatest weapon in this war."

At that moment, Khagra's deep voice reverberated around the room. "Kieran and I have been observing some suspicious activity near the southern borders," he announced, his tone grave but resolute. "We believe it warrants further investigation."

"Oh?" Alaric prompted, his interest piqued. "What have you discovered?"

Kieran exchanged a meaningful glance with Khagra before continuing. "We've been monitoring the movements of the rebels and have noticed a pattern," he explained, his voice measured and deliberate. "It seems they are preparing for a coordinated attack, likely targeting our defences along the southern borders."

Khagra chimed in, his tone grim, "We've been working on counterattack measures, but we need to gather more intelligence before we can formulate a plan," he added, his voice echoing with the weight of their task.

As the gravity of their words sank in, a sense of urgency swept through the room.

Murmurs of concern rippled through those assembled, their brows furrowed with apprehension as they grappled with the implications of the impending threat. The air crackled with tension; everyone was keenly aware of the weight of their responsibilities.

Amidst the fervent discussion, Cedric entered the room, his presence drawing immediate attention. Despite the lingering signs of his recent ordeal, there was a noticeable improvement in his appearance. Most of his colour had returned to his cheeks, a testament to the progress he had made in his recovery. However, there was still a slight limp to his walk, a lingering reminder of the injuries he had sustained.