Chapter 17

▪️A L A R I C▪️

Seated at the grand council table, I felt a sense of unease settling over me like a heavy cloak.

Around me, the other council members engaged in solemn discussion, their voices low and urgent. However, my mind was elsewhere, still reeling from the events of the previous day— particularly my wedding night.

Golnar sat to my left, her presence a source of comfort amid the current turmoil. Her hand found mine under the table, offering a silent reassurance that we were in this together. I squeezed her fingers in return, grateful for her steadfast support, but unable to shake the frustration brewing within me.

Cedric, the orchestrator of this emergency council meeting, sat across from me, his gaze steady and unwavering. I knew he believed in the importance of addressing the recent attack and uniting our people against the rebel threat. But at this moment, all I could feel was a simmering resentment that my wedding bliss had been overshadowed by duty.

Kieran sat at my right hand; his brow furrowed in concern. He shared my frustration, I knew, but also understood the gravity of the situation. Like me, he had been taught from a young age that duty to our people must always come first.

I glanced over at Cornelius, the seasoned advisor seated at the head of the table. His presence was a constant reminder of the weighty decisions we faced, his gaze steady and contemplative. Despite our occasional differences in perspective, I respected the elderly Fae's counsel, acknowledging the invaluable insight he brought to our deliberations.

It would seem that the public address to the Fae Kingdom had been all for naught.

Earlier in the meeting, it had been revealed to be nothing more than a carefully crafted trap—a ploy orchestrated among the rebels to lull us into a false sense of security. As the truth slowly came to light, so too did the depth of our enemies' treachery.

Cedric had been deceived by his own men; spies he had planted among the rebels. Unfortunately, his noble intentions had been twisted into a sinister plot to weaken the Fae Kingdom from within.

My brother and I had been betrayed and the realization hit me like a physical blow, leaving me reeling with disbelief and anger. How could we have allowed ourselves to be used as pawns in a twisted game of power and manipulation?

Amidst the chaos and uncertainty, one thing remained certain: I would do whatever it took to uncover the truth and protect those I held dear. Even if it meant facing the darkest aspects of my own nature.

Cedric's voice broke through the haze of my thoughts, pulling me back to the present moment. I blinked, refocusing my attention while he continued to address the room.

"Like I was saying earlier, given everything that's happened, it's clear that last night's attack is just the beginning. I fear that more attacks will follow and it's only a matter of time before their actions threaten the entire kingdom."

Cornelius, ever the voice of reason, raised an eyebrow, "And what do you propose we do about it, Lord Cedric?"

My brother's gaze swept across the table, meeting the eyes of each council member in turn as he replied, "I propose a bold and decisive course of action. We have no choice, we must unite the orcs and Fae, forging an alliance that will bring strength and stability to our realms."

Gasps of surprise and murmurs of dissent rippled through the chamber.

As Cedric's words reverberated through the council chamber, Golnar and I exchanged a startled glance, our shock palpable in the air between us.