Chapter Twelve

It was late in the evening when the others were still celebrating the return and victory of the orcs, and I lay in bed, listening to their laughter and the music softly echoing through the mountain

It was late in the evening when the others were still celebrating the return and victory of the orcs, and I lay in bed, listening to their laughter and the music softly echoing through the mountain. It wasn't loud, at least low enough for Skye to sleep through it.

"Here I am at last," Orvar said, walking into the bedroom, returning from his talk. He closed the curtain and looked at me. "Oh, did I wake you up?" he asked, realizing I was already in bed, lying under the sheets.

"Of course not." There was no way I was going to sleep without him. "I was waiting for you."

"Well, I'd better wash up. 'Cause I stink like a mule."

I chuckled. "The water in the bucket is still warm."

As Orvar was busy soaping up his body, I could only watch him in amazement. I had missed him so.

After he crawled into bed, I nestled myself against his warm body. I let my head rest on top of his chest while wrapping an arm and a leg around his torso. His arms wrapped around me just as tightly.

"Skye will sleep for at least a few hours, which means I have you all to myself for now," I said before a content sigh escaped my mouth.

"I have missed my daughter just as much as I missed you, but I don't mind her in dreamland for now." He kissed me on the lips.

"I hope I'm not hurting you." I looked at the wounds all over his body.

"You're not. How about you? When I left, you were still bleeding and in pain."

"I'm still bleeding, but it doesn't hurt anymore."

"Good." He gently caressed my back, his hands rough but soft. "Being here is all I want and need."

"I feel the same."

We kissed and cuddled for a moment. Just being together.

"Orvar?"

"M-hm?"

"Can you talk to me about what happened? About the council, the orc soldiers. And I want to hear how my mother and sisters are doing as well..."

Of course, I had heard the most important things from Asutir already, but I wanted Orvar to talk to me. He was my man, and I wanted to be there for him, too.

"I can," he answered. "Although you might not like everything I have to say... Asutir has told you the most important information, but not in detail because I told him not to."

His answer made me a little worried. "Well, tell me now, please."

Orvar told me everything about what had happened during the last few days, while I told him all about what had happened here. He told me about the orc men, I told him about the orc women. He told me about my family, and I told him about how I'd found out that Ston was my father. He already knew, which meant Ston knew, too.