Chapter Fifteen

After the ashes had been scattered, Orvar held a speech, announcing to everybody what his answer to Cagan's threat was

After the ashes had been scattered, Orvar held a speech, announcing to everybody what his answer to Cagan's threat was. To my relief, all the orcs agreed with his decision and promised to always follow their leader and protect his daughter. Our daughter.

Once more, their reaction warmed my heart. Orcs had always fascinated me, but since my stay here in the mountains, I respected them more than ever, and I refused to believe that the other women in town wouldn't soon learn about their kind, honorable nature as well.

Orvar also told us that tomorrow a few orcs would sally forth to get the Soldier sons, who were still staying with Hube's clan. Orvar had sworn to Hube that he would come and get the children as soon as everything was sorted with the orc women and the goodbye ceremony. Hube had been more than patient for a few weeks, and now it was time to honor their deal.

Yeis was to lead the mission.

"We will thank the Kana clan with coals and handmade gifts," Orvar shouted. "To show our appreciation."

Vildon, standing next to me, raised his voice in the middle of the speech. "Commander, I want to join my brothers on this mission, please."

Orvar looked surprised for a moment but nodded. "Very well, little maggot, you may join."

I looked at Vildon, who was happy with Orvar's answer. "Don't you want to stay here in case your bairn arrives?" I asked.

He shook his head. "No..." He sighed. "I want to do something, you know? Waiting is not good for someone like me. I'd rather go on a trip than work out my frustrations in the mine all day long."

"Is that why you have all these bruises?"

He growled and shrugged his shoulders.

"And now," Orvar shouted, drawing our attention again. "It's time to celebrate and honor the lives of our brothers, our fathers, and our sons! And to celebrate how well our little bairns are doing. Dozens have come and none have been lost, thanks to our women!"

Loud cheering was his answer, followed by the deep gong that started the music. Skye woke up for a moment, crying, not amused by the drums and flute music, but she fell asleep again after I rocked her up and down.

The fire outside was fueled by Jarla and Dek, who threw extra logs of wood into the already dancing flames.

Vitva and Norr held torches in front of their mouths and spat some kind of fluid against it, creating the most breathtaking light show. It was quite the spectacle to watch while the rhythmic drumming music sounded in the background.

It was time for drinking, eating, and enjoying the night. Everybody was here, kids and adults, all together, celebrating. There was singing and dancing and laughing.

Orvar joined me as soon as he was done with his speech and other things he had to take care of.

"The ceremony was beautiful," I said.