Chapter Eight

We crossed a small mountain pass and a river before arriving at the forest, where I decided to call it a day when the moon stood high in the sky

We crossed a small mountain pass and a river before arriving at the forest, where I decided to call it a day when the moon stood high in the sky. My men had to close their eyes for a few hours and sleep, which they well deserved, and honestly, so did I.

What a day it had been.

We woke up before dawn to resume the journey, the sky still dark as we left the forest behind us and stepped into the wet grass. The sun had just begun to rise, giving us its light but not yet its warmth, while fog left the air cloudy and damp. This was exactly how I liked it outside—dreary and cold.

"What if they see us coming?" Emmy asked.

I don't know why, but the woman had been walking next to me for a while . She had not said a word until now, though.

"Then let them see us," I answered.

My plan was to simply invade the mansion. I couldn't imagine Johan had much of an army left, so there was no need to silently infiltrate his home. Then again, I could never be sure because who knew what kind of other surprises the man had in stock for us? Still, it was a risk I was willing to take.

"Okay," she answered.

"You can stay here, or turn and go home."

She pulled at the horse's reins, looking up at Hilde, who still sat on its back. "I won't, because, unlike my sister, I will not leave my mother's side."

I glared at her. And at her mother, who seemed to be satisfied with the promise.

"It's because of your sister that I won't kill your fucking mother. She deserves to go with the rest of the council. And so do you for betraying me."

Hilde looked at me with tired, angry eyes, while Emmy sniffed her nose.

"We only did what was right," Emmy said, looking away from me. "Because... Huh?" She pointed ahead of us. "There's something there."

There was something large, barely visible because of the fog. A few lights flickered dully behind the veil.

"Yes, there it is," Hilde said. "Gualfil Woodland's Mansion."

I smirked. We were here at last. I could just smell the revenge.

As we got closer, the orange lights that shimmered in the fog became brighter and brighter, until it was clear the lights came from burning torches on the enormous outer walls.

But there was one particular light that stood out. A larger, moving light, coming toward us.

"They're coming," Cagan said, taking his knife from his belt. "More soldier sons."

Someone emerged from the fog, but he was no soldier son. He was a human man, with hair like golden threads, dressed in a shiny red shirt. He held a lantern in one hand and a white flag in his other, which he was waving in the air.