Chapter Thirteen

It had been two weeks since the orcs had returned home, and within these weeks, a lot had changed here in Asclan Peaks

It had been two weeks since the orcs had returned home, and within these weeks, a lot had changed here in Asclan Peaks. For everybody.

I'd started nursing more. My breasts produced a lot of milk, and I was happy to contribute something as the others did. Breastfeeding could be a bit draining, as sometimes it felt like all I did was sit with a child. However, I was determined to keep going because it was very rewarding as well.

Of course, my milk wasn't nearly enough to feed all the babies, and when I wasn't breastfeeding them, I fed them goat's milk, or got busy with cleaning duties.

Orvar often told me I should take it slow, but I felt my tasks here weren't much different from my tasks back in town, which usually involved taking care of the house and my nieces as well. Besides that, I didn't want to take it slow during these busy times.

Every day, new orc sons arrived, brought by their aunts or grandmothers, who left the little ones by the entrance. The newborns were wrapped in leather to keep them warm, which was, according to Betsy, a vast difference compared to the previous years, when the babies were mostly "dumped in the poorest conditions".

Perhaps this was the influence of my mother and the other women trying to make amends with the orcs. I hoped so. But whatever it was, things seemed to be alright now that the council wasn't in charge anymore.

A few days earlier, there had even been three women who had come to visit the mountains, offering to help us with the orc women after hearing the stories. Orvar had accepted their offer and brought the orc women to Bazur, one of the smaller mountains, where they could live and learn until they were ready to live among the orc men. If they chose to do so.

Everybody agreed this was the right decision. Because right now it wouldn't be good for both parties if orc men and orc women lived together. The women were afraid, traumatized, wild, and the men were... well... they were very fascinated with the other gender, to say the least.

Vildon sat next to me for lunch. It was midday and I had to drink and eat well so that I could give in return.

"Is there any news?" he asked.

"No. I'm sorry, Vildon," I answered, "but there was no Lionrock among the babies brought in today."

He grunted in frustration before saying, "Thanks," then stuffed a piece of meat in his mouth.

Every day, he was hopeful his first son would arrive, and every day he was disappointed. I hoped he realized there was a big chance that there wouldn't come a child at all.

"You must take into account that you might not get what you want," I said.

"I am..." He slapped the chunk of meat back onto his plate, sighing again. "It's just that I would be so happy to meet my first son this year."

I patted his shoulder. "I know."

I also knew that it was a way for him to forget about someone else. Vildon didn't want to admit it, but we all knew he was a bit heartbroken after Cagan had revealed his plans and left.