Chapter 4

WISH YOU WELL

WISH YOU WELL

"A friend would do you well."

—Enola Holmes

"You didn't tell him."

"I didn't need to," I justified to the blonde, poking insistently at the passed out figure of my Bowtruckle. "Helga, you weren't even supposed to know about all of this." I was almost positive Allison was rolling her eyes from behind me. "I'll tell him eventually. But one puzzling case at a time."

The apartment was dimly lit, the shades drawn to retain our privacy. A simple layout was all that was required of us—two bedrooms, one bathroom, and a living space that bled into a small kitchenette. It was not unlike the flats in London, that I remembered well from my time after Hogwarts.

My childhood home had been abandoned not long after the war, a quaint country abode set amongst the rolling hills of a town called Bakerville. There was no desire to keep it, for it had contained so vividly the lasting handprint of my mother and brothers, who had long left me alone. Thereafter, I had purchased a small flat in the heart of London, where I never once looked back.

This American apartment complex was modern—undeniably so—yet something familiar that eased the rocky transition from two drastically different time periods. Allison was the only true variance in the flat where I resided, and it was a startling change from the solitude I had always known.

As daylight faded before my eyes, my jabs became persistent as I tried in vain to wake the oblivious creature from his slumber. Finally, Picket twitched underneath my finger. I pulled back hastily—due to prior experience.

Picket stretched as his beady black eyes fluttered open, the obsidian orbs boring into my own. He squeaked a rejuvenated greeting as I lifted him from his ceramic pot, allowing him to scurry up my arm before finding rest on my shoulder.

I pivoted back towards my roommate who was once again enraptured in her far-off world—a place she would go rather frequently. I snapped my fingers in front of her face, bringing her out of her stupor.

"Don't tell me you've left us already."

She shook her head. "Yes...no. You didn't tell me you were bringing Captain America over."

"I didn't know I was bringing Captain America over," I shot back, collapsing into an armchair. "Besides, you were rather pleased that I did."

She blushed in my peripherals and I held back a jovial snicker at her expense. "Enough teasing. I have every reason to be starstruck. I mean, of all people..."

"Merlin, you might just be as bad as Coulson." I shook my head, a pang of guilt striking my heart as I remembered the kind agent who had given his life for the Avengers Initiative.