Chapter 513 - Challengers

“How about the two-on-two then? What are your thoughts on that?” Tang Wulin asked.

“We’ll settle that with a match too. Yue Zhengyu and I will face you and Gu Yue,” Yuanen Yehui answered.

“Alright. That’s another match to schedule then. All that’s left is the team battle. There are seven slots we need to fill.” 

“We have no problems with you, Gu Yue, and Ye Xinglan participating. But Xu Xiaoyan and Xie Xie? Not so much. I’ll put forth two students from my class and they’ll face Xu Xiaoyan and Xie Xie in a two-on-two battle. Of course, it won’t be Yue Zhengyu and I facing them. Whichever side wins will participate in the team battle. Sound good to you?”

“Yeah. Looks like we’ve come to a conclusion.”

Tang Wulin’s quick agreement unsettled Yuanen Yehui. “What’s got you so confident?” 

He cracked a wry smile. “To be honest, apart from you and Yue Zhengyu, no one else in your class is even a match for Wu Siduo’s team.” 

“Just how arrogant can you be?” She glared at him. 

“You want to see for yourself? We can organize a match between Wu Siduo’s team and five students from your class, excepting you and Yue Zhengyu. Let’s see who wins.” 

“Enough with your nonsense.” Yuanen Yehui stomped off, seething. She wasn’t angry at Tang Wulin’s arrogance, but the sharp truth to his words. Her class was truly eclipsed by the first grade overall. 

Tang Wulin narrowed his eyes as he watched her leave. This selection competition was a good opportunity for Xie Xie and Xu Xiaoyan. It wasn’t just the second grade students who doubted the two, but their own classmates as well. Since there were extra slots for the team battle, there was no way the rankers would be satisfied with not participating. Through the selection tournament, the two could prove with their strength that they deserved to be there. 

Two days later, they held the selection tournament at the training arena. 

There were to be two matches, both two-on-two. The first was Xie Xie and Xu Xiaoyan against the second grade’s Duan Hunxiao and Ye Xingmo. The second was Tang Wulin and Gu Yue versus Yuanen Yehui and Yue Zhengyu. 

Everyone held these matches in high expectation.

On one side stood Ye Xingmo and Duan Hun Xiao. In the previous battle between the two grades, Ye Xinglan had suppressed him. But that didn’t mean he was weak. The martial soul suppression was just too potent. He was also a control-type and had been the first to reach four rings in his team. Faster than Yuanen Yehui. 

On the other side stood Xie Xie and Xu Xiaoyan. Both were commonly deemed as the weakest links of Tang Wulin’s team. Neither seemed to have any particular specialty, perhaps besides Xie Xie’s willingness to go all in. 

These matches would decide who stood with the others in the team battle against the third grade. However, everyone knew the second match was the one to watch out for. 

While Tang Wulin and Gu Yue had weaker cultivations than Yuanen Yehui and Yue Zhengyu, their supreme soul fusion skill more than made up for that. No one was sure who would win, but general sentiment favored Tang Wulin and Gu Yue at the moment.