Chapter 562 - The Banquet Begins

Yue Zhengyu’s flashy outfit and dashing looks immediately drew the attention of everyone. But that attention only lasted a moment. He was but one of the countless good-looking people who had dressed up today. No matter how good he was at peacocking, he was still only sixteen years old. He lacked the seductive charm of maturity. 

“Yue Zhengyu! I dare you to repeat that to my face!” Xie Xie said as he finally caught up to Yue Zhengyu. His raised voice drew curious gazes back their way.

Yue Zhengyu turned to face Xie Xie, a radiant smile on his face. “Darling, what did you want me to say?” 

Xie Xie’s fury was instantly smothered by the chills running through his body. “I don’t know you.” He pivoted in place, grabbed a drink from a nearby waiter’s tray. Off he went.  

Yuanen Yehui and Xu Xiaoyan entered the hall just in time to catch Yue Zhengyu and Xie Xie’s small scene. 

As Xie Xie scurried away from Yue Zhengyu, he caught sight of Yuanen Yehui and swiftly approached her. “Yuanen, Yue Zhengyu just keeps belittling me. Isn’t he such an asshole?” 

“Don’t involve me in whatever’s going on between you two,” she answered. 

Xu Xiaoyan giggled. “What a cute couple.”

Xie Xie was nowhere near as thick-skinned as Yue Zhengyu, so he blushed at Xu Xiaoyan’s prodding. Scratching his cheek, he bashfully glanced at Yuanen Yehui. “See, even Xiaoyan says we should be together.” 

“Screw off!” Yuanen Yehui rolled her eyes at him, swiftly leaving the scene. 

Heart falling, Xie Xie turned and gave Yue Zhengyu the finger. But Yue Zhengyu just responded with a charming smile, one so sickening sweet it coaxed goosebumps from his skin. In fear for his chastity, Xie Xie bolted after Yuanen Yehui. 

Now that Xie Xie was gone, Yue Zhengyu slid into position in front of Xu Xiaoyan. “Pretty lady, would you care to be my dance partner tonight?” 

Xu Xiaoyan giggled. “How do you know there’s going to be a dance?” 

Yue Zhengyu chuckled. “This is a banquet, so of course there’ll be one. How about it? Will you be my partner tonight?” 

“Sure!”

Yue Zhengyu snapped. “Fabulous! You’re such a great girl.” 

Xu Xiaoyan nodded enthusiastically. “That’s right! I’m the complete opposite of your ugly mug.” 

Yue Zhengyu cracked a wry smile. “How about you dull your sharp tongue tonight? Otherwise…” He leaned forward. As he inched closer to her face, Xu Xiaoyan bent backward to keep them from touching, to the point where he was amazed.

“Otherwise what?” Xu Xiaoyan stared at him with defiant eyes.

“Otherwise…” His own eyes reflected a rare sincerity. “Do you really think I’m ugly?” 

“Okay fine. Hurry up and get off me. You look fine,” Xu Xiaoyan said, unsure why she was so flustered. 

Yue Zhengyu pulled Xu Xiaoyan up by the waist as he straightened his posture. “You still haven’t answered my question,” he said quietly.