Chapter 23

"You didn't have to do this," Peyton said sheepishly.

The Kent's living room was decorated in pink and gold decorations, paper rings, and white balloons. The kitchen island was full of food and drinks, and the entire space was filled with happy chatter from the women who'd been kind enough to come to an impromptu party.

"I'm happy to," Martha replied with a smile. "Every bride-to-be should get a bridal shower. I'm just glad I wasn't stepping on any toes."

Peyton waved off her concern.

"I wasn't going to have one," she admitted. "It felt unnecessary, I don't actually need people to give me anything."

Martha gave her a sympathetic look.

"It's more about community, and everyone needs that. If you and Lex plan to stay long-term in Smallville then it'd be good to get to know everyone, and let them get to know you."

Peyton smiled in reply and Martha affectionately squeezed her arm. The affection was genuine and Peyton soaked it up. Martha exuded maternal warmth, a warmth that differed from her mother's. It was true that her mother had grown more attentive recently, but there was still some sort of barrier between them. Like a lingering guilt.

And just because her mother decided to become more mothering didn't mean Peyton was going to forget all the times she'd been ignored or treated like a doll while growing up.

"Well," Peyton said, "I really appreciate it. It's all so lovely."

"I'm sorry your mom and friends couldn't make it." Martha looked around at all the guests, local women and some of the high school girls. People she knew but Peyton didn't. "I know these things are better shared with loved ones," she finished.

"Oh, no. It's fine. We had our own little version of a get-together when I was in Metropolis."

Peyton wasn't going to elaborate that it was more of a catered appointment to pick out a bridesmaid dress. Or that she hadn't even told them about the bridal shower in the first place.

Maybe it was a little childish, but part of her felt that if her other mother, her mom, couldn't be at her bridal shower, then it was only fair her mother didn't come either.

They joined the women in the kitchen, and even though she got a few lingering, wary looks, they were different. It wasn't the look of people surprised she knew how to spell her own name, they were the distrusting stares of a small town community being forced to play nice with an outsider. It was actually a nice change.

Martha made introductions and Peyton internally repeated names in an attempt to remember them all. She already knew Chloe, who was awkwardly standing near a dark haired girl, Lana. She remembered Rose- Tina- mentioning her as if they were friends. Lex might've also mentioned Clark having a crush on her, and Peyton could see why. She was a pretty girl with large doe eyes and a soft voice.

Lana's aunt was there with her, Nell. Apparently Lana's parents had been killed in the meteor shower and Nell took her in.

There were other women from the town: Sarah Baker, Betty Fordman, and Amelia Johnson. They all gave her friendly greetings, but seemed more happy to be out of their houses and having a girl's day together, which took the pressure off Peyton. She didn't need to be the center of attention.

The bridal shower was an unstructured gathering. No one knew her well enough for any traditional games, and answering questions about her and Lex's relationship was tricky enough as it was without highlighting specific details. She fielded a few polite inquiries from the ladies and tried to avoid lying as much as possible.