Chapter 12

The doctor hummed as the reading came in. Peyton fidgeted on the sofa, trying to cut her eyes enough to see the screen even if she couldn't make sense of what it was showing.

"Incredible," the doctor murmured.

She looked up to Lex, but he was staring at the same screen the doctor was. She couldn't tell by his expression if he understood what he was looking at or not. Peyton cleared her throat.

"So? What's the verdict?"

"You've recently experienced a head trauma," the doctor said. She nodded.

"I have a concussion."

The doctor nodded in return and pointed at spots on a screen that she couldn't fully see.

"I see the bruising," he said. Peyton wasn't sure how that was possible. Just what sort of device was hooked up to her head? "Right there is where we were getting little to no signs of activity before. But now the area seems to be functioning normally. And here," the doctor pointed at another spot, "her consciousness, if you will, is no longer unstable."

Her brow furrowed as she started to rub at her knuckles.

"What does that mean," she asked. "Will I, um... go back to how I was before?"

"I can't say for sure." The doctor signaled that they were done with the examination and gently began to peel the sticky pads from Peyton's temples. "The brain is the world's most complex computer, and we still don't fully understand it. Your case is especially unique. Actually, I think that, ironically, the concussion might have helped you. The bruises are surrounding the part of your brain that was previously unstable. It's almost like they might have flipped a switch, if you'll excuse my metaphor."

Peyton held up a hand, halting the doctor as her face went cold.

"Are you saying that, in your professional opinion, my current state is probably-probably... permanent?"
The doctor smiled softly, confusing her rising panic for shocked relief.

"As far as I can tell, yes."

Breathing in sharply, she stood as the doctor blinked in surprise. She moved to exit the room, not sure that she would be able to hold herself together and Lex shifted to intercept her. He held out an arm, catching her around the waist, and pulled her close as he leaned down.

"You ok?"

"I don't know."

But she was shaking her head and pulling on her bottom lip with her teeth. Lex looked back up to the doctor.

"Thank you Dr. Cornwell," he said. "I'll call you if we need you again."

Dr. Cornwell finished packing up his equipment and gave a small dip of his head as he exited the office. Peyton shook in Lex's arms.

The room was silent save for Peyton's breathing for several long moments. Her mind was whirring, buzzing, scrambling for an alternate explanation than what she'd just been given.

"He said he thinks it's permanent," she said flatly.

Lex's fingers tightened at her waist momentarily and then loosened again.

"He did," he agreed. She couldn't read his voice. Couldn't tell how he felt about the situation. He just sounded calm. Pulled together.

Peyton closed her eyes and tried to center herself.

When she opened her eyes again and looked up at Lex, she felt a bit more grounded. There was still a wild fear churning in her stomach, but at least she could keep it from spreading across her face.