Chapter 10

The waiting was going to drive her mad. Everything in her life felt on hold indefinitely and Peyton despised it. Being home made her feel more sure of herself, more confident, but it also left her with a gnawing anticipation of when the other shoe would drop. The only power she truly held was that she knew this world and how it worked. She knew the people here and she had her family with her.

Now every time she fell asleep at night she wondered if she'd wake in the same bed in the morning. She checked her email obsessively. Hoping beyond logic that Dr. Henson might reply eventually. That maybe he'd be able to give her some answers. But after four days of nothing, she had to admit to herself that it was unlikely.

That didn't stop her from constantly checking.

She had another appointment that week since the MRI didn't come up with anything. They took some more blood and she saw another neurologist who went over much of the same information that she'd already known. As far as they could tell there was nothing wrong with her. No cause for her mysterious bouts of unconsciousness. The doctor suggested that perhaps she had an unusual case of narcolepsy.

They scheduled her for another sleep study.

Peyton went home irritated and feeling antsy. She was racking up the bills and she knew it was all for nothing. She brushed her fingers over the locket around her neck. It would happen again. That she felt certain of. After all, why wouldn't it? But she knew more about it now. There had to be a way she could be more prepared.

A letter; Peyton settled on writing a letter. If, when it happened again, she ended up being out long enough for someone to find her then at least there could be an explanation.

Please don't call an ambulance. Take me to the hospital if you have to, but please just wait for me to wake up. I don't know how long it'll take me, but please just wait.

She wrote "In Case of Emergency" in large letters on the envelope with a red pen and tucked the letter into her purse.

[]

Work the next day was normal. Things had started to smooth out with her work flow and her boss was starting to ignore her again, which suited her just fine. It wasn't quite time for her break yet and she was trying to check her phone on the sly when it buzzed as she pulled it from her pocket. Another email; probably spam. Peyton checked it anyway to put off working for a moment.

"Dr. Henson?"
Enough days had passed that Peyton just assumed she'd never hear from him again, and yet another reply sat in her inbox. She snapped a look to the opening of her cubicle to make sure no one was coming before hastily opening the message.

Miss Woods,

Apologies on my late reply, but I wasn't quite sure how to answer your questions and then I'm afraid it slipped my mind entirely. I can't say that I've ever heard of someone interacting with another dimension before. At least not one who hasn't also been on the cover of The Globe. No offense, of course. But you seem reasonable in all your emails, so I'll bite. Just what have you as proof of these encounters?

Oh, Peyton breathed. He was bored alright. Probably stuck on some mode of public transportation for an overlong period of time and had nothing better to do. She rolled her shoulders. Well, if he was going to ask then he was going to get an answer.

Dr. Henson,

Thank you for getting back to me after that last email. I-

Her phone went blurry and her vision black at the edges. Her body felt suddenly woozy. She slumped forward in her seat.