Chapter one

Nothing is quite as magnificent as the world under the sea. On first glance, there is a captivating calm that permeates the boundless expanse.

Colorful plants sway gently, dancing among the tall rock formations that tower from the sandy seafloor. And hidden far from human eyes, a majestic palace of coral is centered perfectly within a luscious garden of blues and pinks.

Of course, the real beauty of the sea is the way it teems with life. From his throne, King Michael can see bales of sea turtles floating by while dolphins playfully dance around each other, chittering away. Schools of fish dart through the water, trying to keep up with each other. And all around us him are the sounds of music and happy chatter as the palace merfolk make hasty preparations.

Tonight the Coral Moon celebrations begin.

It is the sea king's favorite time of year. It's when merfolk near and far gather to celebrate the moon's blessing of good luck and abundance. Most important, it's one of the few opportunities for Michael to see all of his daughters and one son gathered together. There is always work to be done but much joy to be had so long as everything remains on track.

Michael puts a large conch shell to his lips and blows. The trumpeting sound blares throughout the waters. The sea king's daughters know what this means. It doesn't take long for the princesses to make their way into their father's throne room. King Michael's statue suggests great night and power, but there is a lightness within him as he looks around. His family is together, safe, ready to start a new year. Michael takes a seat on the natural carved throne in the center of the room. His daughters settle on the coral ledges all around him.

"My daughters of the Seven Seas," he begins, beaming with pride. "It fills my heart to have you all here."

He says to each of them in turn, "Nicole, Selena—it's so good to see you. Mariah, Ariana—I welcome news from all your waters. Miley, Demi . . ." A noticeable gap catches his attention, and he pauses. "Where's Harry?"

There is an uncomfortable pause as his daughters stare helplessly at each other. None of them have ever been too successful at keeping an eye on their youngest brother.

Michael starts to massage his temples, his frustration only increasing at the silence. All he wanted was a smooth start to this important celebration with all seven of his daughters and one son. Was that too much to ask?

Most of the time, ruling the Seven Seas seems easy compared to keeping track of Harry. He has never been one to stay still for long. He has too much of an adventurous spirit. It's frightening how much he reminds him of his mother. A lump rises in his throat at the thought. He shakes to clear it and refocuses on the problem at hand.

He notices a sudden movement out of the corner of his eye. He sees Zayn, his right-hand crab, attempting to scatter quietly away. Frowning, Michael reaches out and pins Zayn under his finger.

"Zayn!" The crab shakes as Michael's nostrils flare angrily. "You were supposed to see to it that Harry was here!"

"Oh, I tried, Your Majesty, but that child, he is impossible! I reminded him about the gathering just this morning. What else can one crustacean do?"

"You can go find him! Yes?" Michael releases his grip on the crab.

"Yes, Your Majesty! Right away!" Zayn scurries away as fast as his little legs will allow.

Michael watches him go before pinching the bridge of his nose. It is so like his youngest child to miss an important event because he is off exploring the seas or some such nonsense. Why can't he be less . . . curious? No, that's not what he wants. As much as his behavior frustrates him, there's a calming familiarity to even Harry's most exasperating quirks. The thought slowly melts away Michael's anger, leaving the sea king lost in an old anger.