Chapter three

Contrary to what he is sure his youngest child believes, Michael does not enjoy yelling at his daughters and son. When Zayn appears in the throne room with a sheepish Harry and Louis trailing behind him, the sea king tries to calm the swell of anger that immediately rises within him. He is not successful. He watches Harry glance around as he's hoping his sisters will pop out from behind the coral and tell him that he's right on time. But no one else is here, because he is late. Again.

He holds up a hand as Harry opens his mouth to speak. "Do you realize how irresponsible this is? Your sisters are only here for one phase of the Coral Moon. Can you imagine any one of them missing the gathering?"

Harry glances down at his fins and shakes his head. "No. You're right. I'm sorry."

Louis swims forward. "It wasn't Harry's fault," he interjects. "We were . . . we were exploring, and a shark chased us, and—"

"A shark?" Michael exclaims. There aren't any sharks close to this palace, which can mean only one thing. "You went to the shipwrecks again. Those waters are dangerous!"

"You don't have to worry about me," Harry crossed his arms defiantly.

It's almost funny how children never seem to understand the irresponsibility of such a thing. He reaches out and gives Harry's arm what he hopes is a comforting squeeze. "I do worry, Harry. This obsession with humans has to stop."

He sighs. "I just want to know more about them."

"You know all you need to know."

Harry gives him an unimpressed look. "I barely know anything. You won't even let us go to the surface."

Not this again, Michael rubs his temples, his headache returning. "Why do you have to be so strong-minded? Just like your mother."

"I am her son."

The sea king hums in agreement. "Yes, foolish enough to be taken with the human world."

"If you would just try to understand—"

"I have tried," he says, his deliberate tone leaving no room for argument. At this point his patience is wearing thin. All he wants to do is protect his only son, after not being able to parent . . .

He is tired of having the conversation. "I have tried to understand you long enough. But as long as you live in my ocean, you'll obey my rules." His voice rises, filled with a force that startles both him and Harry. "Do you understand that?"

Harry flinches. It's a tiny movement that greatly pains his heart. He hates seeing the hurt that is clear on his face. Still, he remains firm. He has to get through to him.

They stare at each other for a beat longer before Harry swims away without another word. Louis hesitates for a moment before following him.

The sea king sighs. Zayn scurries up to him.

"Children—you give them an inch, they swim all over you."

Michael stares a moment longer at the spot his son left before he turns to Zayn. "Was I too hard on him?" He used to hate it when his own father yelled. He wonders if he ever worried his parents half as much as Harry worries him.

"Definitely not!" Zayn assures him. "It's like I always say, children got to live by their parents' rules."

"You're absolutely right. My Harry needs constant supervision."

Zayn climbs up onto Michael's shoulder and bobs his head in agreement. "Constant."

"Someone to watch over him."