Chapter five

Sitting on a rock jutting out of the ocean, and watching Harry from a distance, Zayn wonders if he's getting old. Maybe his eyesight is starting to fail him. There's no other logical explanation, because there is no way that this child is doing what it looks like he's doing. And Zayn knows that this will end up being his fault, and then the king will fillet him and give him to the humans to eat.

He's too young to be eaten!

Zayn's misery only increases when Sabrina suddenly swoops down and lands on top of him. He swats at her, making a noise of distress. "Get off of me, you fool!"

"Oh, hey!" Sabrina says. She scoots over. "Didn't expect to find you here." She cocks her head as she takes notice of the scene that has been horrifying Zayn for the last several minutes: Harry, the merman prince lying half on the beach while tending to an unconscious human prince. Sabrina blinks in surprise. "I really didn't expect to find him here."

"Eh-eh!" Zayn exclaims as Sabrina hops close for a better look. He does not need this bigmouthed creature making the situation worse. "You listen to me, bird! This king can never hear of this. We are going to forget this ever happened." When Sabrina doesn't respond, Zayn pulls on her wing, making her squawk. "Are you listening to me?"

Sabrina briefly glances at him before her eyes drift back to Harry. "Yes."

"This is important, bird. You won't tell him. I won't tell him, and I will stay in one piece. You got it?"

Sabrina nods vigorously. "Got it!" She pauses, her shoulders drooping as she frowns in confusion. "Sorry, what did ya say again?"

Zayn feels ready to explode into a million little pieces. "I'm a dead crab!"
——————
The sun was just beginning to stretch over the horizon when Harry laid John on the shore. Please be okay, he begs now as he removes seaweed from his face and torso. He gently lifts his head. Relief flows through him when he sees his chest start to rise and fall. His eyes remain closed, but he's alive.

Harry breathes out slowly, trying to force the residual tendrils of fear away. When he saw John sink below the water, limp and unconscious, he didn't think twice before diving down to save him. He knows his father, even his sisters, would see his behavior as reckless.

But as he looks at John, here in front of him, and safe, he cannot bring himself to regret it.

It strikes Harry how small and fragile he appears in this moment. Michael has always made humans out to be large, monstrous, dangerous. John, clammy and shivering slightly, couldn't look less dangerous if he tried. Harry wonders what else his father got wrong about the human world.

He lightly traces a finger along the side of his face, observing him now in the morning light. He wishes they could sit together and talk about all the wonderful places they dream of exploring. He could tell him about how limiting being the sea king's son is sometimes.

Harry is aware he doesn't really know him, but after listening to his words on the ship, he feels like he could share all his deepest thoughts and he'd understand. He has never had that before.

Harry starts to hum as he brushes John's hair to the side. He notices a gash on his forehead. He must have been hit when the ship starting falling apart. Harry's cool fingers whisper over the injury. John stirs under his touch. He is only partly conscious, but as he starts to sing, his song settles into him.

Harry:

Mmm, mmm
Ah, ah

What would I give to live where you are?
What would I pay to stay here beside you?
What would I do to see you smiling at me?