Chapter eleven

Upstairs, Ashley leads Harry into a guest room. He takes Harry's sailcloth and sits him down in something she calls a bathtub. The tub is cold against Harry's skin. Ashley didn't explain what Harry is supposed to do, but Harry notices the tub looks sort of like a porcelain boat on land. Maybe it needs water?

Suddenly a bucket of steaming water is poured over his head. Harry gasps in shock. That wasn't quite what he was thinking. The tub is quickly filled with water the hotter than Harry is used to. He wonders why humans would subject themselves to this. Ashley then steps away to help Hilary, a young housekeeper, prepare the rest of the room.

"He can't speak at all?" Hilary asks with bewilderment in her voice.

"Can you blame him?" Ashley retorts. "After all he's been through? It's a blessing he's not worse off."

"Such a faraway look in his eyes."

"A bit of soap and a scrub and he'll be good as new."

Harry doesn't know what soap is, but he isn't sure he'd describe himself as very comfortable in this bath. He continues to scan the room, and he is shocked when his eyes lock onto a dead fish painted on the fireplace tiles. His mind flashes back to the warnings Zayn gave him. Harry's earlier excitement slowly starts to melt into a flutter of nerves. Where does he fit into this strange world?

"I need you to bring me the corset and the other underthings from the other room. Oh!" Ashley exclaims. "And bring me the blue suit as well."

"Blue suit . . . I don't remember a blue suit," Hilary muses.

"Child, the blue suit that's in your room."

"No, I'm pretty sure it's green."

"Well, bring me the green suit and then we'll see if it's blue." Ashley sighs.

"Okay . . . I thought it was green . . ."

Harry:

Are we only food for slaughter
Is this life on land?
Well, you were lonely underwater
Come on, Harry, time to stand

As Ashley and Hilary continue to talk about gathering clothes, Harry closes his eyes, steeling himself. He slides down under the water and wills his racing thoughts to settle. The voices around him quiet. This is no time to second-guess his decisions. Life under the sea was lonely, disheartening. He reminds himself of how small it made him feel every time his father refused to listen to him. As long as you live under my ocean, he said to him. In Michael's ocean, Harry was viewed as young and naive. He wasn't allowed to make choices he felt were right. Now, though, he's on land. Things will be different.

Harry suddenly shoots up, gasping for air. He's never felt such a desperate need for oxygen before. He is hit with the realization that he can't stay underwater the way he used to. It's not that he didn't know humans can't breathe underwater like mermaids and mermen do.

Harry just didn't know it would feel so limiting. Maybe the human world isn't so free. The thought makes his chest tighten.

Ashley, unaware of Harry's internal struggle, reappears and sticks a strange white bar into Harry's hands. "There you go. Smells nice, doesn't it?"

Harry brings it close and takes a big whiff. It does smell nice, sweet and a little tangy. This must be what the humans eat. He takes a bite and immediately starts gagging. That does not taste like it smells!

Eyes wide, Ashley quickly takes back the bar of soap. "Oh, you poor boy! You must be starving! Hilary, get this child some food—and quick before he tries to eat the scrub brush."

"Yes ma'am," Hilary nods and hurries out.

"Right, let's get that seaweed stink off you, boy," Ashley says with a smile.