Epilogue

A few weeks later Harry and John run down the rocky path onto the beach as villagers and court members cheer and throw petals into the air. Island musicians play a celebratory tune. Luke waits for them down on the sand.

"What's all this, Luke?" John asks.

"The queen wanted the two of you to have a proper send-off, sire," Luke leads them to Queen Monique who waits with Ashley and Hilary in attendance.

"Thank you, Your Majesty," Harry says.

The queen takes Harry's hand, her fingers brushing against her mother's ring, which Harry now wears. "No, thank you. Much as I hate farewells, we still have cause to celebrate." She takes John's hand, as well. "Our worlds have misunderstood one another for far too long. Your bond marks a new beginning for us."

Harry likes the sound of that. "Yes, a beginning."

"We learned a lot from the boy who came to us unable to speak," Luke says. Harry smiles at him warmly.

John gathers the queen into a hug. "It's only farewell for now, Mother."

"Oh, I know that." She pulls back. "Now, get out there and change the world—or whatever it is you have to do so we don't get left behind."

"That doesn't sound like my mother." John looks to Luke with mock alarm. "What have you done with her?"

Everyone laughs. The queen shakes his head before pushing them along with a shooing motion. "Off you go."

The couple starts off down the beach hand in hand. Ashley calls after them. "Have you decided where you're headed first?"

John and Harry share a look.

"Uncharted waters," Harry says. With that, the couple hurries off.

With joyous tears in her eyes, Queen Monique watches them go. "It won't be easy for them."

"But they'll have each other," Luke says assuredly.

The queen nods. "A merman and a man. Whoever would have imagined?"

Who indeed.
—————
They arrive at the shoreline, where a rowboat is moored.

It will take them to the larger ship in the distance that will carry them to their uncharted waters. As John unties the rowboat, Harry sees Zayn, Sabrina, and Louis watching from nearby rocks. He crosses over to them.

"Well, look who's here," he says.

"We got you something for you, Harry," Sabrina says. "Wh-wh-where is it?"

"You're sitting on it, bird." Zayn pushes Sabrina aside, revealing the jade mermaid Harry dropped into the ocean.

"My little mermaid!" He starts to reach for it, then pauses. He thinks for a moment. "Actually, keep her for me. Hopefully she causes you less trouble than I did."

"I was right about the dinglehopper, wasn't I?" Sabrina asks.

Harry laughs but reassures her. "Yes, you were, Sabrina, you were."

"You won't be gone too long, will you, Harry?" Louis asks.

"Of course not. I'll be back to see you all by the next Coral Moon."

"Yeah, don't be late this time," Zayn tells him. Harry just grins. He'll probably still end up cutting it close.

John approaches Harry as he gazes over the water, a touch of sadness hitting him. "Are you ready?"

He hesitates before nodding. "Yes. Yes, I'm ready."

He helps him climb into the boat. They row out past well-wishes, toward the waiting ship. Harry looks up in surprise when John suddenly stops. He turns and sees his father in the water behind them. Michael gazes upon his youngest and only son, and Harry sees pride in his eyes.

Harry watches, stunned, as his sisters appear behind Michael—followed by dozens and dozens of merfolk from across the Seven Seas. They've all come to see Harry off. An incredible warmth spreads through him. Their worlds have united at last.

Michael moves alongside the boat, close to Harry. "My child . . ." He looks at the prince beside him. "John."

John nods in acknowledgment.

Harry gives his father a grateful smile. "Thank you for hearing me."

"You shouldn't have had to give up your voice to be heard. But now I am listening. And I will always be here for you. We all will."

Harry hugs his father. His embrace is strong and sure. "I love you, Father," he whispers.

He finally lets him go, and with an emotional smile, he pushes the boat, creating a huge wave that sends it gliding gently over the water to the awaiting ship. As everyone around them continues to wave and cheer, Harry thinks that he has finally found the connection he has always been looking for. It's far better than he ever could have imagined.

Now, he and John are off to begin a new adventure. While he has no idea what this journey will bring, Harry isn't frightened at all. With his family and friends, new and old, behind him, he knows that anything is possible. And what could be more exciting than that?