𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 ~𝟭~

DANI POV

"Don't tire yourself out!" Tom whisper shouts, I was running everywhere in the food court. Looking for some ice cream. "Baby! I found it!" I gasp.

Tom walks over to me with his IV pole. "Which flavor are you gonna get?" Tom asks, looking at all the mini ice cream cups. "Mint chip." I squealed.

"Disgusting." Tom gags, shuddering.

"I love mint chip, it's so good. You can get what you want." I smiled, he crouches, getting some chocolate ice cream.

"Let's go before nurse Linda catches us." I pull his arm, back to our conjoined hospital room.

Tom and I both had inoperable tumors, on our lungs.

We met at a support group, three years ago. Three years with him, I only live to be with Tom. Without him, I would've gave up trying by now.

We both live to die for each other.

"Duck!" He whispers, pulling my arm down. We both duck down behind the counter, it was one of the on call nurses, they had been running somewhere.

To an OR, probably. They're always running around this wing, they must have lots of patients to operate on. I wished that we could be one of them.

Even though we were nearing the top of the transplant list we were still so far from getting our lungs. We had the same blood type, it was difficult.

But we get through it, together.

"Come on Dani, she's gone!" Tom laughs, pulling me back up. We scurry to our room, closing the door behind us. On most nights one of our moms spent the night here. Tonight, we had convinced them not to.

"It's so much more fun without them." Tom sighs happily, I begin to push my bed to the middle of the room and so does he.

I sit down, pulling my hospital gown down. Tom sits beside me, wrapping his arm around my shoulder.

"Don't you think it's crazy we met when this all first started and now we're about to die?" Tom laughs, before beginning to cough and choke.

"Ay! Be careful." I laugh as well, rubbing his back. I made sure to laugh lighter then Tom though, I didn't want to choke either, it made you have this burning sensation in your chest. I didn't like it.

Tom groans swiping his fist against his chest.

"Here eat some ice cream." I take the lid off of his, giving him a spoonful. "Thank you." He swallows it before giving me a kiss, I smile a little.

"It's a bit chilly in here don't you think?" I shudder, getting goosebumps. "Maybe because you're holding the ice cream." Tom points to it.

"Oh you're right." I giggle, setting it down on the tray.

I lay my head on his chest, breathing hot air onto my hands making them warmer. "Do you want another blanket?" Tom asks, I nod. "Yes please."

He stands up, his grippy socks sticking to the floor as he walked. It made a clicking sound, Tom goes to the closet that held all of our personal things.

He got out my big fluffy blanket, walking back. "If this doesn't keep you warm I will okay?" He reassures, covering me with it.

"I'm gonna save this for later, i'm freezing, can you put it in the mini freezer since you're already up?" I hand the ice cream to Tom, he takes it putting it in the freezer. "Anything else?" Tom questions.

"I'm good baby, thank you." I pat on the bed, he climbs in next to me. I flick the light switch that was next to the bed, I found the location of it very smart.

I wait for Tom to lay on his back first, then I took the opportunity to lay on his chest.

"I want you to promise me something Tom." I took a deep breath in, looking up at him. "Anything." He replies, "Promise me you'll die after me." I sniffle.

According to the doctors, without a transplant we had just less then half a year left. It was getting super bad, we knew we didn't have long together.

I just couldn't bare for him to be the one to go first.

"You have to promise me you'll die after me." Tom pokes my side, I squirm. "What if we both live?" I smiled sadly, he shook his head.

"That's not realistic, maybe we die together?" He chuckles softly. "Together." I nodded.

"Together." Tom agrees, once more.

It hurt knowing that Tom and I were just kids, we were only sophomores, another thing about Tom and me is that we shared the same birthday.

Which was in a week, never felt the need to celebrate any of our birthdays these past couple of years. I mean who would be there for us?

We had each other, and that was enough. "We have school tomorrow we should get some sleep." I drew some shapes on his chest as I spoke.

Tom was about to respond, but the door had suddenly opened and the lights were on. We both shut our eyes quickly pretending to be asleep.

"Hey guys, sorry for waking you up. I just wanted to take some vitals." Nurse Linda closes the door gently. We begin to fake waking up, as she walks over.

"It's all good." I say, in a raspy voice.

Tom and I scoot up. "So how long have you guys been dating again?" Nurse Lina asks. "Almost three years." We respond at the same time, holding hands.

"Wow, and you're only fifteen. Impressive." She nods, pleased. "I agree." Tom jokes. "I know this might be uncomfortable but since you're in a relationship I have to ask." She looks away a little awkwardly.

"No, we're not sexually active." I clarified, before she could even ask.

"And you're aware that being active could lead to multiple and various different health issues." She takes her chart out.

"Yes, shortness of breath could lead to choking which leads to well... basically death." I giggled a bit. 

Nurse Linda stops writing on her chart, looking up at me. "That's not funny, we have more patients in far worse conditions." She glares.

"Isn't it quite funny though? You could die from having sex." Tom jumps in. "Sure." Nurse Linda nods fakingly.

I hate that bitch.

-

"Fucking finally, she was getting on my nerves." I groan, laying back in his arms. "She means well." Tom disagrees. "I'm gonna come back to haunt her."

"Dani!" Tom gasps dramatically, hitting my shoulder

"I'm gonna haunt her too." His face goes into a straight line. "Maybe we should ask tomorrow if they could call UNOS and see if there's anything new?" I suggest.

If you didn't know UNOS is for transplants, it's like the system. I also knew one thing, something that Tom and I had never discussed.

We shared the same blood type, meaning if a new set of lungs were to come, we'd have to make a choice. Me or him, I don't think he thought about this but I did.

Everyday.

I mean of course I would choose him to get the transplant, he could live. Maybe have kids one day and fall in love. I would want him to forget all about me.

It was almost as if he could read my thoughts. "If a set of lungs comes in I want you to have it." Tom says.

"Nonsense." I shake my head. "I can live with dying, but I can't live without you." I could see the tears well up in his eyes. "Can we talk about this later? Please?"

"Mhm." Tom hums, I curve my lips a little. Looking down. "I love you." I said, looking back up at Tom.

"I love you too."

A/N- hey yall, tell me why it's the first chapter and i'm already crying HELP.

this book is gonna be a rollercoaster, let's prepare for it.