Chapter 1: A Surprise at the Train Station, a Picnic, and Starting School

(Abby's P.O.V)

It was a warm day in the late summer. My redheaded fraternal twin sister, Anne, and I had just arrived at the Avonlea train station on Prince Edward Island. Anne and I were sitting outside on a bench when an older gentleman who worked at the train station approached us.

"Are you two young ladies waiting for someone," the older gentleman asked.
"Yes, sir. Thank you,"  I answered politely.

"Wouldn't you two young ladies like to sit inside the ladies' waiting room," the older gentleman asked us.
"No, my sister and I prefer to sit here. There's so much more scope for the imagination," Anne replied.

"Thank you just the same, sir," I said politely.
"As you like, ladies," the older gentleman said before walking away.

I then immediately turned to my redheaded twin.

"Anne, you simply must stop broadening your imagination from time to time! I know, I've fallen short of this too...with my writings and all, which has partially gotten us into this whole new living situation, but you must face reality on occasion," I told my twin.
"Abigail Shirley! I have never heard a more insulting thing from you! I shall never give up my curious mind! What kind of joy would one have if one wasn't curious about things in life? Besides, you have all the luck in life," she said with a sigh.
"How so," I asked curiously.
"For starters, you are simply prettier than me. You have your lovely golden locks and sapphire-like eyes, whilst I'm stuck with my dreadful red hair, my hideous green eyes, and atrocious freckles, as Mrs. Hammond told me," Anne responded glumly.
"Anne, you are beautiful! Your red hair, green eyes, and freckles accentuate your complexion perfectly! You're far more beautiful than you give yourself credit for," I said with a smile as I gave her a side hug.
"Thank you, my dear sister,"my twin grinned as I leaned my head on her shoulder.

About half an hour had passed. Another elderly man approached Anne and me.

"I suppose you're Mr. Matthew Cuthbert. My name is Anne Shirley. Anne is spelled with an 'e'.  My twin sister, Abigail, and I were beginning to be afraid you weren't coming for us today...so I made up my mind for us to climb up that big, wild cherry tree and have us wait for you till morning. It would be lovely to sleep in a cherry tree all silvery in the moonshine, don't you think," Anne asked the elderly man, now known as Matthew.
"Oh, yes it would. I mean, no. I mean, there's been a big mistake," he answered.
"Oh, no, there's no mistake...not if you're Mr. Matthew Cuthbert," Anne stated.

"You are Mr. Matthew Cuthbert, aren't you? Mrs. Spencer told Anne and me to wait right here for you," I said with a polite smile

"And so we've done, most pleasantly I must say," Anne chimed in.

"You two fine young ladies shall come home with me," Matthew grinned.
"Oh, thank you, Mr. Cuthbert," I said with a polite smile.

"Oh, this is beautiful country you have here, Mr. Cuthbert,"  Anne said in awe after I was helped into the carriage.

"I'm sorry I was late," Matthew apologized.
"It's perfectly alright, Mr. Cuthbert," I said politely

"No, no, that's fine, thank you. It's very light and thin, like me. I better hold on to my bag. If it isn't carried in a certain way, the handle falls off. I mastered the trick of it on my journey. It's a very old carpet bag. Not at all the sort of luggage I imagine the Lady of Shalott would travel with...but of course, hers would be suited to a horse-drawn pavilion and not a train. Oh, I'm very glad you've come...even if it would have been nice to sleep in a wild cherry tree,"Anne stated as Matthew helped her in the carriage.