Chapter 22: Visiting Avonlea, Moving to New York, and a Baby

It was now August in the summer of 1915. I had arrived in Avonlea with Matthew, Elizabeth, and John, who were now six years old and turning seven in November. Matthew was looking more and more like Gilbert each day with his brown hair and brown eyes. Elizabeth started looking like me when I was younger with her blonde hair and blue eyes. John still looked like a good combination between Gilbert and me but with red hair and hazel eyes. Anne greeted us with joy.

"Oh, Abby," Anne exclaimed while running over to us and hugging the children and me.
"Oh, hello, my dear sister," I beamed.
"Oh, my gosh! Oh, look at you! Oh, you haven't changed a bit," Anne grinned.
"Neither have you! I've been aching to see you, Fred, and the kids," I smiled.

"I grew two inches since you last saw me, Aunt Anne! Now, Mom and Dad won't get on Matthew and John for teasing me anymore," Elizabeth said with pride.
"Is that so," my twin asked my daughter with a giggle.

"I'm doing well in my classes, Aunt Anne," Matthew said with a smile.
"That's good to hear, Matthew! I'm sure your mother is helping you keep up with your studies," she said as she ruffled his hair.

"And I've been reading lots, Aunt Anne," John said.
"Just like your mother when we were young girls, John," my twin said with a chuckle.

Then, a man came to pick up my and my children's luggage.

"Oh, no, don't. Thank you for your help. Alan? Seems like a hundred years since you sat behind us in school pulling my and Anne's braids," I said with a small laugh.
"Gosh, Abby. Don't remind me," he insisted bashfully.

"Why is Alan...Well...Why," I asked.
"He's well-paid, Abby. I insisted Fred hire a driver because we have so many guests coming and going," Anne responded.
"Spend your money on Fred, Fred Jr., Cordelia, and Rilla, Anne! Not on me or my family," I insisted
"You're my twin sister and the mother of my niece and nephews, Abby. Besides, I have to spend my part of the inheritance Marilla left me somehow," she stated.

"Thank you," I said as Alan helped Anne, my children, and then me into the car.
"You're welcome," Alan said before he began to drive.

"It's strange seeing so many men in uniform, Mom," John said.
"That's because they are going to serve our country overseas in the war, Johnny," I informed him.

"Mom, when will Dad be back from New York," Elizabeth asked.
"Today, my sweet Lizzie. We shall see him today at your Aunt Anne's and Uncle Fred's," I told her.

I cleared my throat before speaking to Anne.

"Look it...That's Charlie Sloane and Wilf Bell. It's like they're running off to a Sunday School picnic," I commented, referring to our former schoolmates.
"In six months, this nonsense in Europe will be over and we won't hear another blessed word about war. Oh, Abby, we're going to have a fabulous holiday together with both of our families. Just like old times," Anne said with a smile.
"Yes. Smell the air, Anne. You find that sweet smell in Glen, St. Mary," I said after inhaling and exhaling deeply.
"In your letters, you sounded so happy about teaching. It must have broken your heart to say goodbye to all your students after five years," she said.

I cleared my throat before speaking up.

"Let's go by Green Gables, Anne. The children and I have not been back since Marilla died," I informed my sister.
"Imagine, sheep on the main street. The man has no sense at all," she said as we soon approached Green Gables.
"Stop it, Anne. I'm dying to walk anyway," I said as I got out of the car and ran through the old pasture I would walk through with Anne, Matthew, and Marilla.
"No, Abby," my twin insisted.