Chapter 10: Queens Academy, a Discussion, Grief, and Comfort

A couple of months had gone by. I was about to be on my way to Queens Academy with Anne and Gilbert. Anne and I were getting our train tickets.

"Hurry up, Anne and Abby! Do you think the train is going to wait for you," Marilla asked.

"I'll take it, Matthew. It'll be easier if I go quickly by myself," Anne said as she referred to her carry-on bag.

Anne and I then hugged Marilla tightly and kissed her cheeks.

"Getting emotional over nothing," Marilla said dryly.
"Nothing? You both mean everything to Anne and me," I said while tears began to flow down my cheeks.
"All this foolishness. You might as well kiss him, too," Marilla insisted.

Anne and I then hugged tightly Matthew and kissed his cheeks as well before getting on the train. Two hours later, Anne and I were in a boarding house at Charlottetown.

"Cheer up, now. I've had dozens of students here and have not lost one of them yet. If there's anything you want, just let me know," one of the staff members at the boarding house said to me.
"Thank you," I said before she left me alone to get settled.

I then sighed to myself after sitting on my bed. I was missing Matthew and Marilla something awful.

"I can't cheer up. I don't want to cheer up. I'd rather just be miserable," I said to myself as a tear fell down my cheek.

The following day I was in my first class at Queens Academy with Anne and Gilbert, which happened to be about teaching.

"Those of you who have elected to complete the program for a teacher's license in one year instead of two, have a difficult struggle ahead of you. But you're here because we know you're capable of doing it. These first two weeks will be a probationary period in which you can decide whether you really want to complete the program in a single year. In that sense, these first two weeks will be the most important you spend at Queens. Bear that in mind," my professor stated.

"I can do this," I said to myself softly to boost my confidence.

It was now spring. It was about midafternoon, and I was walking through the school's courtyard with Anne when we ran into Josie.

"Why, Anne and Abby Shirley! Abby, you look positively ill. Whenever your nose and eyes get a reddish pink, you just seem flushed all over," Josie commented on my appearance.
"Tell me, how are the first-year students doing," I asked, ignoring her comment.
"Our French professor is a dream. He's the cutest mustache. You both come for lunch and I'll tell all. I'm meeting Jane and Ruby and some of the others," Josie responded.
"Thank you, but I have other business to attend to. I'm having lunch with Gilbert, Josie," I informed her
"I see," she said smugly.

Josie cleared her throat before speaking up.

"Gilbert obviously won't be there if that's what's worrying you, Anne," Josie said.
"Oh, I'm not worried about him. He and Abby are quite happy together, especially since they began courting again," my twin said.
"Gilbert Blythe is a rake, and after his insulting behavior at the White Sands concert, I've decided to completely ignore him. Besides, there are far more dashing young men around here anyway," Josie stated.