Chapter 8: Going to Charlottetown, an Entrance Exam, and Luck

A few months had gone by since I ended things with Gilbert. I was a mix of sadness and happiness constantly. I missed Gilbert tremendously, but I cannot change what has already been done. Part of me feels awful for cutting things off with him, even if he might have been telling the truth, but I trust Anne more than anything.

Today, Anne and I were accompanying Diana on a visit to Charlottetown to visit her aunt, Josephine, and for Anne and me to take the Queens Academy entrance exam.

"Hello, Aunt Jo," Diana, Anne, and I said joyfully in unison as we hugged her as we entered the foyer.
"Diana. So, you've come to see me at last, you Anne and Abby of Green Gables. Mercy me! You're all so much better looking than you used to be," she said.

"I'm sure Diana and Abby are. My hair is still red," Anne said, which caused Miss Barry to laugh.

"Come in, come in, John. Take the bags right upstairs. Wipe your feet," Miss Barry instructed.
"Aunt Jo," Mr. Barry said as he hugged his aunt.

"You must be tired from your trip. Nancy will prepare your bath and look after you. I suppose you want to cram for your exam tonight," Miss Barry said.
"Miss Stacey made Anne and me promise not to open a book, so we won't get the jitters," I said truthfully.
"In that case, we can have a leisurely dinner after you've freshened up. And following your exam tomorrow, I've planned a tremendous surprise," Miss Barry stated.

Miss Barry cleared her throat before speaking up.

"Nancy, tell John that I will have my tea with him in the palm room," Miss Barry instructed.

"I've never been here before. I didn't know she was this rich," Diana said as she, Anne, and I walked upstairs to our room.
"No wonder she has so little imagination. That's the one consolation about being poor. You have to dream all this up," Anne said.

"I wish I could go with you two and help you both somehow, Anne and Abby," Diana said.
"Don't make me nervous. I'm trying to imagine away this horrible, fluttery feeling around my heart. Maybe it has to do with the exam. Maybe it is Gilbert. I honestly don't know," I said.
"I have faith in you both. You both will pass alright," Diana reassured me.

"I'd rather not pass at all than come out somewhere in the middle. Matthew and Marilla, Miss Stacey. Everyone has such great hopes for Abby and me," Anne said.

"It would be such a disgrace if...," I trailed off.
"Gilbert came first," Diana asked.
"I suppose I'd settle for beating Gilbert Blythe, if I had to...now that we aren't courting anymore," I answered.

"Just keep thinking about Gilbert, then," Anne said.
"Yes, Gilbert...," I trailed off.

The next day, Anne and I were at Queens Academy and were about to take our entrance exams. I couldn't help but fidget with my pencil after glancing at Gilbert.

"Please do not touch your papers until all the examinations have been distributed, or they will be discounted completely," the exam administrator said.

The exam administrator cleared his throat before speaking again.

"You may now begin," the exam administrator stated before we began the exam.