Chapter 5: Tea, Intoxication, and a Forbidden Friendship

It was a peaceful summer day. Anne had invited Diana over for tea, and she insisted I invite Gilbert as well so that I wouldn't feel left out for some reason. Maybe Anne thinks I am jealous of her and Diana's closeness as friends, which I am certainly not. I'm quite happy that my sister found a friend in Diana Barry.

Anne and I were finishing up preparing the tea when Marilla approached us.

"You clutter up the house too much with outside things. Don't we have enough flowers right outside our door," Marilla asked.
"I want the house to look flowery to impress Diana when she arrives for tea along with making Green Gables look homey for Gilbert," Anne answered.

"May we use the rosebud spray tea set, Marilla," I asked.
"No. The everyday set will do for your company. You may have the fruitcake and the cherry preserves...and there's a bottle of raspberry cordial on the shelf in the kitchen," Marilla replied.

Then, Marilla turned to face Anne.

"Now, tell Matthew that Mrs. Allan will drive me back... but I'll be late coming back from the Ladies Aid Society...so you must see that Matthew and Jerry's supper is laid out for them," Marilla instructed.
"Yes, of course, Marilla," Anne said.

Then, we heard a knock on the door.

"Oh! That must be Diana," Anne said with joy.

My twin opened the door and saw Gilbert, not Diana. She seemed a bit upset.

"Hello, Anne. Hello, Abby. Hello, Miss Cuthbert," Gilbert said politely with a grin.
"Hello, Gilbert," Marilla said.

"Hi, Gil. Anne is just a bit upset that you showed up before Diana," I said.
"I see. I assume she shall be here shortly. No need to worry," Gilbert said

"Now Anne and Abby, I trust that you will be responsible for your guests," Marilla insisted.
"Abby and I shall be the perfect hostesses," my twin insisted.

"Have a lovely afternoon, ladies and Gilbert," Marilla said before leaving.

Then, I led Gilbert to the parlor.

"Anne is making a big fuss over this whole ordeal because she longs to impress Diana as a hostess. She wants everything, and I mean everything to be perfect," I gestured for him to sit down next to me.

Then, Gilbert sat down next to me and gently placed his lips on mine.

"You look splendid as always," Gilbert said before gently kissing me again.

One innocent peck turned into another.

"Abby, I need your help with the...," I heard Anne trail off as she walked into the parlor, which caused Gilbert and me to part looking at my twin who was wide-eyed.
"What did you need help with Anne," I asked blushing.
"To quit kissing your beau and finish cutting the fruitcake while I answer the door. Diana's here," Anne responded enthusiastically as we heard a knock on the door.
"Alright," I said with a sigh while getting up.

Then, Anne left to go answer the door.

"I'll help you, Peaches," Gilbert insisted as he stood up.
"But you won't know what you are doing! Besides, I am your hostess, Gil," I told him.
"I learn fast, you know," Gilbert said with a smirk.
"Alright, Follow me," I said as I led Gilbert to the kitchen.