Chapter 18: A Positive Review, a Surprise, and an Unexpected Proposal

A week had gone by. I was reading a review of the play in a newspaper to my students.

" 'And in particular, the performance of Emmeline Harris who was so convincing in the role of the young queen. The audience was so unexpectantly moved. It is our opinion that this proficient group of young actresses must establish a permanent dramatic society. The Kingsport Examiner eagerly awaits their next production'. And on that note of praise, I hope you all perform as triumphantly on your term exam next Friday. Class dismissed. Here you go, Emmeline," I said as I handed her the newspaper as my students left the classroom.

I noticed that Jen had stayed behind and walked up to me at my desk.

"I'd like to apologize for the inconvenience that I caused you, Miss Shirley," Jen said sincerely.
"I forgive you. We're all glad to see that your health has improved so quickly," I said.
"Yes. I think that the doctor was overly concerned. I hope I may stay in the dramatic society...if you're going to continue," Jen said with sincerity.
"Oh, we couldn't do without you," I said with a grin.
"Oh, thank you, Miss Shirley! Oh! My mother wants to know if you'd like to help with the annual hospital bazaar. If you have the time, of course," Jen said.
"Tell your mother I'd be flattered," I said with a smile and a small chuckle before Jen left my classroom.

I then walked down the hall and saw Miss Stacey holding a letter.

"Oh, Abby," Miss Stacey said with joy.
"Hello," I said with a polite smile.
"The Board was totally enthralled. Better than that, they were absolutely floored when they received Captain Harris' cheque. They want to renew your contract for five years," Miss Stacey said excitedly.
"Five years?! I am not sure if I could last that long. I'm too afraid I shall get homesick more than I already am and miss Anne, Marilla, Green Gables, Diana, and Avonlea something terrible, Miss Stacey," I said truthfully.
"I understand, Abby. Just think about it for a bit," Miss Stacey told me.

About a month had passed. I was walking in a drizzle over a bridge minding my own business when I heard a familiar voice.

"Abigail Shirley! What in heck are you doing here," the familiar voice asked.

I felt the person tap my shoulder. I then turned around and saw someone I least expected to see. Gilbert! I couldn't help but hug him tightly and peck his cheek.

"Gil? You're the very last person I'd ever expect to meet out here on a day like this," I exclaimed with joy as we ran to a nearby gazebo to avoid the rain.
"Come on. The Royal Academy of Physicians is convening here this weekend, and I'm here as a delegate," he informed me.
"You must be proud of yourself," I said.
"Not as proud as I was of you when I read that clipping Miss Stacey sent me about the success of your play," Gilbert said with a smile.
"That's sweet of you, Gil. It's so good to see you," I said as I hugged him.
"Well, I was actually hoping we'd run into each other. I wasn't sure whether you'd be happy to see me or not, especially since I wasn't truly able to keep up with our correspondence, so I...," he said before I cut him off.
"Happy? I can't begin to express my happiness! Let me look at you," I said before Gilbert took his hat off.
"Oh, yes. Do I look like a young medical student now," Gilbert asked with a chuckle.
"Not a bit! You can't fool me! You are still the same incorrigible, sweet, gentle, and generous Gil that I know and love. Tell me all the Avonlea news. Have you been back at all," I asked curiously.
"Uh, no, I've been spending most of my time with the Stuarts in Halifax. Dr. Stuart's a very prominent surgeon. It was he who arranged for me to attend as his delegate. You see, Christine and I are engaged. It's set for next summer," he answered.