Chapter 11: Writing a Story, Finishing a School Term, Rejection, and Shock

About two years had gone by. I was now eighteen and was teaching at Avonlea public school with Gilbert, who was now twenty. It was a quaint and beautiful Saturday afternoon and I was on the shore of a beach near Avonlea working on a short story.

" 'Where is sleep? Over the mountains of the moon, down the
valley of the shadow, 'neath the waves of the deep gulf stream',
replied the handsome duke in dark, languid tones...in dark, languid tones....In dark, foreboding tones...He fervently stroked her alabaster brow and she fell under his cloak of darkness'," I said to myself as I wrote my story down on paper.

I got lost in the moment of writing that I didn't notice that my papers had begun to scatter in the wind. As I tried to collect my writings, a man in his mid thirties came and helped me.

"Are you...a journalist," the man asked.
"No...a...a teacher. No...you see, I'm a writer...actually. I write books," I answered with a hint of nervousness.
"Oh. Books," the man asked.
"Books," I replied politely.
"I hope nothing is spoiled...or missing," the man said.
"Doesn't matter. I keep it all filed up in my imagination anyway," I said.

Then, a woman walked up to us.

"Morgan! Morgan! We'll be late for our luncheon," the woman said.

"Thank you," I told the man now known as Morgan.
"Excuse me," Morgan said.

Almost a week had gone by. It was now Friday and the school term had come to an end. Gilbert and I were telling students "goodbye" as they left the school house.

"Bye, Miss Shirley and Mr. Blythe," one student said.
"Bye," Gilbert said.

"Goodbye, Miss Shirley," one girl said.
"Goodbye, Barbara Shaw! Don't forget your lunch pail," I said.

"Goodbye, Miss Shirley and Mr. Blythe," another girl said.
"Bye," I said.

"Goodbye, Miss Shirley and Mr. Blythe," a boy named Jacob said.
"Goodbye, Jacob. Good luck in your job at the smithy," Gilbert said.

"Bye, Miss Shirley and Mr. Blythe," Diana's younger sister, Minnie May, said.
"Goodbye, Minnie May," I said as she left.

Then, I headed back into the schoolhouse with Gilbert to clean up a bit.

"What a year," I said with a sigh.
"Indeed. I'm sure you heard that Anne came back last month from Carmody," Gilbert said.
"Yes, I did, Gil. I'm so glad she's back in Avonlea and back at Green Gables. I missed her tremendously. I just wish she'd stop seeing Fred Wright. It's been one year since they began courting. That's one year too many for me. He is not the man I pictured her to be with," I said as I grabbed my things.
"Oh, you'll love it when they get married one day, Peaches," he said before kissing my cheek.
"Sure, I will. Now, go ahead without me. I'll be a minute," I said as  Gilbert left the schoolhouse.

I then erased the message I had written on the blackboard for my and Gilbert's students before leaving the schoolhouse and getting on my bicycle. As I rode my bicycle, I passed the shed and heard what sounded like Minnie May crying for help.

"I want out," I heard Minnie May exclaim before I got off my bike and unlocked the shed.
"Why, Minnie May," I exclaimed.
"Anthony Pye and Tommy Bell locked me in cause I was gonna tell on those two. They were smoking cigarettes. And Anthony's gonna sic his watchdog on me," she told me.
"He'll do no such thing. Now, you run along. Your mother will be wondering where you are," I said.
"Alright, Miss Shirley," Minnie May stated before running home.