Chapter 16: A Story, Play Rehearsal, a Visit, and Keeping Up With Correspondance

A few days had gone by. I was in the middle of finishing up reading a story to my students.

"And so, for the last time the old teacher passed by the cruel portrait of herself etched in the wall by her
former students. Gertrude glimpsed the old woman's haughty loneliness as she retreated silently into the garden. Shortly, thereafter, they learned that the hand of death had touched her. And Gertrude was haunted by the realization that she could never thank the woman who had silently given her so much. It was more than she could bear," I finished reading.

I noticed that many of the girls, especially the Pringle girls were moved to tears. I cleared my throat before speaking up.

"At this point in the term I would like to dedicate this short story to each of you young ladies who have made my first month here for me so meaningful. Class dismissed," I said before the girls left.

Then, Miss Stacey and Miss Brooke entered my classroom.

"What are these girls crying for," Miss Brooke asked coldly.
"I've been reading them a short story, Miss Brooke," I answered.
"Good grief! Crying over an English lesson," she remarked.

"Miss Brooke is here to discuss my suggestion of a play and benefit concert," Miss Stacey informed me.

"I think it's scandalous, but my opinion matters little since the school needs the funds," Miss Brooke said.
"Exactly. I was hoping you would assist me in the coaching, Miss Brooke," I said matter-of-factly.
"I don't know why you would since I had nothing to do with drawing up this ridiculous scheme," she said.
"The most important question is, then, who shall play the leading role of Mary Queen of Scots? I think..." I trailed off.
"We don't want any green horn in the role. I'm not going to be associated with anything that isn't successful. Jen Pringle is the only one I can think of who could play the part. No one else has the necessary personality," Miss Brooke insisted.
"I can't deny that Jen has a natural flair for...acting," I said while holding back a bit of anger.

"Then, it's all settled. Why, I think Miss Brooke will make an excellent coach. And Miss MacKay and Miss Kerr can do the decorations, and I'll see to the hiring of the hall and
the band. Perhaps, I can even entice a famous soprano from Fredericton to sing between acts at no charge," Miss Stacey said.
"I trust she'll sing for the creditors if the whole thing flops! But don't say I didn't warn you," Miss Brooke said  before leaving with Miss Stacey.

About five hours later, I was in the venue where the benefit play was to be held with Miss Brooke, Miss MacKay, Miss Kerr, and some of my students.

"Make your brush move like furious fire, furiously. Shoot out," Miss MacKay instructed one of my students.

"Make great big stitches so they won't show," I heard Miss Kerr said to Miss MacKay.

"I implore you! Don't just stand there like limp rags," Miss Brooke instructed.

"Help me! Help me," Hattie acted.
"Feel it! Feel it," Miss Brooke encouraged Hattie.

"Let go the Queen," Myra acted.
"Myra, you're using your upstage hand. You're hiding your face," Miss Brooke told her.

"Help me my mistress, have mercy. Mercy, nay, I am innocent. Save me sweet lady," Hattie said.

"Will ye slay me too," Jen asked as Mary, Queen of Scots.