Chapter 30

1952. 2 years. Becca dies in 2 years. I was frozen in place. I couldn't imagine a life without Becca. She was my entire world. I wanted a life with her. Marriage. Kids. Would I ever get that?

"I'm sorry, Steve." Bucky said, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"No. No she can't die. There was no record of her death." I said, shaking my head. "Because Hydra erased everything on her. She was a loose end. My last remaining relative. Then I burned all the remaining files on her." I shook my head again and stood up and paced back and forth. "I can't let her die, Buck."

"You think I want that to happen? I'd give anything to know that my baby sister got to live out a long, happy life." His voice was strained and I glanced at him and then Sam who was sitting quietly on the couch. "I can't lose her..." I looked back at the bedroom door. The whole apartment was now silent. The weight of Bucky's revelation sinking in.

"Can I suggest something?" Sam said, speaking up after a few minutes of silence. Bucky and I looked at him, "this could be a really bad idea but...what if we brought Becca to the future. Becca wouldn't have to lose Bucky and we avoid Hydra ever experimenting on her and her death?"

Bucky and I stared at him before looking at one another. "We can't...she belongs here..." Bucky said, "Steve?"

I couldn't think straight. Would taking her to the future save her?

"Steve...please tell me you aren't considering this? We can't take her there." Bucky said. "We don't even know that her dying will happen now that she's here with you. She's safe with you."

"But what if it happens and I can't save her?" I asked, my voice shaking. "You're Captain America. You can save her. I know you will. You'd never let anything happen to her."

"I couldn't even save you!!" I yelled. Bucky froze and looked down at his lap. "I failed." I whispered. I had to find a way to save her. If that meant taking her to the future...I'd consider it. But her life is here...Scout is here...could we take a dog to the future? There were too many what if's...

But what if, taking her to the future saves her life. Is it worth all the risks?

"Just...let me sleep on it." I said, walking to our little closet and pulling out blankets and pillows for both Sam and Bucky. "Here are some blankets and pillows." I dropped them on the couch and sighed, running a hand through my hair. "Sam, you can take the couch. I'll take the floor." Bucky said to him. "Are you sure?" Sam asked. Bucky nodded in response and got himself comfortable on the floor.

"Steve? You okay, punk?"

"Yea. I'm fine. I'll see you both in the morning." I said, quickly walking off into mine and Becca's shared bedroom. My heart clenched as I saw her curled up on the bed with Scout as the little spoon. His ears perked up as he heard me come in, but he didn't move. I quickly undressed and slid under the covers next to her. I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her close to me, loving the warmth of her body against mine. I pressed a kiss to her exposed shoulder and heard a content sigh leave her lips. "I love you, Becca. So fucking much. I'll never let anything happen to you. I promise."

Rebecca's POV

I woke up the next morning, securely in Steve's arms while Scout laid at our feet. I distinctly remember him in my arms...but then again he did almost always end up at our feet. I turned around in Steve's arms and ran my hand down his face. His eyes fluttered open and he gave me a small smile. "Morning." He mumbled, his voice husky from sleep. "Good morning." I whispered.

"Did you sleep okay?" I asked him. "I slept okay, how about you? I know yesterday was tough for you."

"I slept okay. Even better in your arms." I smiled and pressed my lips against his. I loved the feeling of his lips against mine and it took everything in me not to deepen the kiss. I didn't need Bucky hearing us. If his hearing was anything like Steve's...then he would hear it all...talk about awkward.