The Decoy

Jennifer traipses into her cousin's house late in the evening. She drops her bag, full binders, and all her weight upon entry, and once the door closes.

The empty home causes the lock to echo in a ransacked hallway. Thrown papers and a cracked open window replace remnant memories of a happy couple, a hyper child, and obnoxiously frequent guests.

Jennifer addresses the glass first and locks it shut. She circles the kitchen with a hand on her hip and eyes the dog's half-full water bowl.

She flips the bowl with her foot, screaming at the top of her lungs as the veins in her neck bulge green. Her fists change shades as her shoulders broaden enough to tear the seams of her unbuttoned blazer.

A dish flies against the wall, followed by a water glass she left out the night before. She flips the table next.

In her fullest green form, she regrets taking her rage out on kitchenware and bowls. Shredding Declin might provide momentary relief.

She snorts over the thought and steps into the living room, circling to find the staircase.

Walters finds herself opening the door to Rebecca's room. She hugs her arms tightly around herself, circling the empty room full of books on insects, a red spider-silhouetted pillowcase, and childproof microscopes.

Jen wipes her nose and reaches to address the buzzing phone in her pocket. She remains amazed that the screen is merely shattered.

She sniffles as she answers;

"Yelena?"

"Answer me quickly,' the voice answers, 'I have a very sad sister, and my plemyannitsa has a stupid hairdo. What happened?"

Jennifer sinks onto the bed, unsure if it will hold her greener weight, and she doesn't care.

"Um,' she catches the tears spilling down her cheek with her hand and tongue, 'he uh. He confessed."

"No! I'm asking new question: What's the plan?"

"You're being straightforward,' Jennifer shakes her head and closes her eyes, 'I assume I can talk?"

"Yes. For five minutes. Talk."

"How's Becca?"

"She does not play. It is annoying. Like you."

Jen laughs, "You suck."

"You suck more."

"There's no need to remind me,' she studies the tear on her fingertip, 'I lost my first case in 2 years. For my cousin, no less. That'll look amazing on the record..."

"L.J. and Natasha! Focus!"

"They need to stay in Scotland for the time being. I'll hold the fort down here and dodge the questions. The decoy is arriving shortly."

"...it's serious?"

Jen lifts her shoulders, "I don't know. He seems to think so. He pulled some strings to set some precautions into play. I think it's best if we look after Rebecca. She's got some target on her back. The scientists are fixated on how she works—"

"Blood. Bone."

"Yeah, I know,' Jennifer reaches for the pillow at her side, hugging it into her chest, '...is there any way Natasha talks to me?"

"No," Yelena laughs coldly, "She has not left her room."

"I don't blame her," Jen bites her cheek.

"I've got to go; our time is up."

"Thanks for calling."

There's a pause before Yelena makes her confession;

"...I needed to check on my other sister."

There's a warm sensation at Jen's core, "I'm frustrated and confused, but I'll come around, I suppose. Thanks for asking."

"I'm talking about the house."

"Ugh! The house is fine."

"I'm just pulling at your ankle."

"Yeah,' Jennifer rolls her eyes, listening to the raspy cackle on the other end of the phone, 'I'm tracking. Thank you, YELENA. The house thanks you."

"Good. You're welcome."

There's a knock at the door when she responds, "I've got to go."

"Me too."

Jennifer heads back down the stairs and opens the door to a dark-haired biologist.

"This has got to be the biggest ask of your existence," the woman admits timidly.

Jen smiles, "Hi Betty. Hi Sammy."

"Say hi," Betty coaches the boy in front of her.

"It's just! Until the press vacates," Jennifer reaches to close the blinds behind her, "Anyone snooping around the house is going to want photos."

"And I'm supposed to change,' Betty points to her red wig, 'get home by Friday night when my husband heads to the prison to counsel my ex—"

"Dr. Ross, by the way? Making Leonard take YOUR last name? Powermove honey!" Jen panics after observing her friend's stomach, "OHHH wow, did not know you were pregnant! Congratulations?"

Betty panics as she studies the hallway, "I shouldn't be here. Does Bruce know I'm here?"

"No! No. And he never will. He asked for an agent, but I had your number, and you always pick up for me,' Jennifer takes her arm, 'it's all fine. Just, smile and wave. The silhouette will work just fine if we keep the windows closed and you watch that baby bump."

"I don't know how to, you know, Natasha. She's beautiful, and kind, and amazing. Does SHE know I'm here? Oh GOD!"

"And you're beautiful and kind and amazin— We need a body here. And your son is the perfect Becca size. Cutting Rebecca's hair- it would all make perfect sense. It's totally something Natasha would do. This is just for a few days!"

She nods, "I can do this."

"That's the spirit! And I'll be here! I wouldn't leave Natasha,' Jennifer swallows, rolling her eyes, 'or Becca. If I had the choice. We can do this. We play it up for a week. And then you get to go home, I go home. Case dismissed."

"Okay. How does he,' she points to her son, ''Becca'? Not wearing his standard bowtie might pose problems. I had to beg him to take it off."

"Uh,' Jen scratches her head, 'blast Cover Me in Sunshine every hour on the hour."

"He likes Mozart."

"Well, this week he doesn't. He likes microscopes and bugs. He enjoys avocado toast."

Betty pivots, "Do you think Bruce will get an early release? What happened?"

"I-," Jen shrugs, "He's cautious. He's worried about Rebecca and Natasha."

She nods, "The little I followed seemed very unfair."

"Leonard knows you're here, right?"

"Oh no!" Betty's eyes widen, "I'm 'at a conference' in Vegas."

"...with your son."

She reaches for her luggage, "Never ask a question you don't want to be answered."

Jen waves her green hand, "You didn't need to bring clothes if you're wearing Natasha's."

"These are books,' Betty begins to unload them on the bench, 'I figured I'd read while I'm here. Maybe there's something I can do to help Becca."