Close as Strangers

The door slams shut as my mother leaves to go drop my little brother off at daycare, and then go to work. It's 7 in the morning and I'm already bored. So why not go on the internet?

I head upstairs to where I left my phone and grab it off the nightstand. I flop facedown on my bed and start to scroll through Instagram. And then Tumblr. And then I even go and open up Twitter for the first time in weeks.

I see that some cute girl has followed me so I go to her page. There's an untitled link in her most recent tweet, so I decide to click it. It takes me to the video chat section of Omegle. I've been on Omegle before, so I know what kind of people are usually on there. I glance at the time and decide that 8:45 am on a Saturday morning is safe enough to go on.

I roll over off my bed and jump to a standing position. Going over and sitting down at my desk in front of my laptop, I quickly type in Omegle to the search bar on Google. The page pops up, I take a deep breath before clicking it.

The first thing that shows up is an incredibly large dick, covering my entire screen. I quickly exit that chat and hesitate before the second one.

I look around me and see a masquerade mask from a party I went to last month lying on the top of my dresser. I stand up and slip it on over my hair. Looking in the mirror, I see that my hair comes down and creates a frame for the sides of my face. The mask is only meant to cover one side of my face, and I completely fall in love with it again. Now I remember why saved it in the first place.

I walk back to my desk and start a new chat. This time a guy shows up.

Stranger: very pretty

You: hahaha thanks ;)

I cringe on the inside, realizing that he's probably a perv. I smile on the outside though. The guys face doesn't change and he types again.

Stranger: nice mask ;) your a very pretty girl. I like your eyes ;))

He gives a small smile this time. Before I can reply, he's typing again.

Stranger: age? Im 25

You: I'm 16, seventeen next week xD

Then the guy clicks another button and the chat is disconnected.

"He was a perv anyway," I mutter under my breath. I click a new chat and this time it's a simulated quiz as the video for the chat. I look at the first question, which is blow a kiss, and immediately click out. Sure, a kiss seems harmless, but the next question was probably going to be to take my shirt off.

I cross my fingers and hope fore more luck on my fourth chat.

The camera image pops up and a huge smile breaks across my face. My neighbor's bright smiling face has popped up. I wave at her as she laughs.

Stranger: heyyyy Sam!!!!

You: lol, hey Riley xD

Stranger: I saw your mum leave, u alone?

You: yeah. I got bored so I decided to internet.

Stranger: same my parents are away on vacation tho. Love your mask by the way ;)

You: lol thanks babe.

I see Riley crack up on the other side of the screen. Her cheeks are bright red.

Stranger: you are a stranger!! I hardly know you and you're calling me babe?! You have to at least by me a drink first ;))

This gets my cheeks to heat up. I finally notice the butterflies in my stomach too.

You: why don't you come over then? I doubt anyone will mind

Stranger: kk then, I'll be right over ;)

Riley waves at me and I smile and wave back before the chat disconnects. As soon as her face disappears, my heart picks up.

I've always found her really pretty and been attracted to her, but I've never told anyone. I don't think I'm a lesbian, I mean I like guys. I'm kind of openly bisexual to myself and myself only. I think.

I close my laptop and leave my room to head downstairs. Just as I reach the bottom, there's a knock at the door. I open it up and invite Riley inside.

"Hey love," she says, wrapping me up in a hug. I giggle.

"Hello to you too stranger," I reply, hugging her back. Riley laughs and buries her face in my neck. I feel my cheeks heat up again and the butterflies start fluttering in my stomach. She pulls away and I smile, trying to hide my obvious attraction to her. Riley doesn't seem to notice though.

"Here come have a drink," I say, turning around and walking towards the kitchen entrance. Riley follows me and slides into a bar stool at the middle island.

"What do you want to drink?" I ask her. Riley thinks for a moment.

"A martini," she states with a smile. I laugh.

"I'm not a bartender, I have no clue how to mix drinks."

"You call me babe, invite me out for drinks, and then can't even get me a drink?!" She smiles playfully as she says this. I laugh.

"Well come on upstairs then, we can Omegle together. That's entertaining at least, right?" Riley nods and jumps up from the stool.

She follows me upstairs to my room and then flops on my bed, much in the same way I did a few hours earlier. I sit at the foot of the bed by her feet.

Suddenly she sits straight up and wraps her arms around my shoulders. She pushes me back down against the mattress and then sits on me.

"What are you doing?!" I squeal at her as she straddles me.

"Says the stranger to a girl she's just met!"

"Riley you're my neighbor and I've known you for freaking ever!" I laugh at her. She leans down and rest her chin on my chest.

"Well how am I supposed to know that? Your identity is hidden by a mask," she says with a smirk. I had completely forgotten that I left my mask on. I move to bring my hands to my face, but Riley already has her hand there. I watch her face as she slowly lifts the mask from around my eye and then completely takes it off. Our eyes meet.

"There's the beautiful girl I know," she says, her voice barely as loud as a whisper. I glimpse down at her lips. They're slightly parted. I look back to her eyes, knowing that she saw what I want. She slowly leans in towards me and I close my eyes.

Our lips connect at the same time.

I feel Riley's hands move to the sides of my face and cup my cheeks as we continue kissing. I bring my hands up to her hair and gently run my fingers through it. All the butterflies have flown off from their cage in my stomach and I'm completely calm.

Riley breaks off from kissing me and I take a breath of air. My chest in racing and I didn't even notice it. Riley is breathing fast too. I continue running my hand through her hair as we hold each others gaze.

"I didn't know you liked girls," she finally says at last.

"Me either," I say with a smile, "or kind of."

"Can I kiss you again?" Riley asks, a slight bit of nervousness in her voice. I respond by leaning up and kissing her again.