Coffee Shop Love

My sneakers pound on the pavement as I run. I look down at my watch; two more minutes until I miss the opportunity of a lifetime. Two more minutes until I miss my interview to be accepted into Harvard. 

I continue running, ignoring the stares of the people I whip by.

I look back down at my watch. Fuck, one more minute.  I look up just in time to slam into someone.

We both go sprawling into the ground, their stack of books going flying. I lay face down on the sidewalk for half a second, then quickly push myself up. I start gathering the books, apologizing as I pick them up.

"I am so so so incredibly sorry, are you okay?" I ask, turning to look at them.

The person in front of me is the most attractive person I've ever seen. I just stare at them, not speaking. 

"It's okay, it happens." They reply back, slowly standing up. I stand and continue staring, dumbfounded.

"If you're going to ask it, no I am not a girl or a boy. I'm androgynous and so I use they or them pronouns," they say monotonously as they realize I'm staring. They've probably had to say this line so many times to inconsiderate strangers, and now they just said it to me.

"Oh no it's not that," I say, stumbling over my thoughts, " It's just... are you single?" I drag the 'single' out in both an awkward and hopeful tone. 

They look at me quizzically, "Yes... why?"

"Fuck. Well um... you're very attractive... and um... I would like to go on a date with you..."

They continue looking at me, their eyebrows furrowed. Then they burst out laughing.

"Well okay then, I go by the name Carter. I'm fully open right now to go get a coffee." 

I smile at them, "I'm Jenn and here, I'll take your books then. You can choose a coffee shop," I pick up all their book and hold them.

"Alright, I guess this is happening," they say, starting to walk down the sidewalk. I walk next to them, smiling. 

"So I guess were on a date now," I say.

"I guess. So why we're you in such a rush?" Carter asks.

"I was going to an interview for an acceptance to Harvard, but I've missed it," I reply. 

"Did you miss it because you were late or because you're taking me to coffee?"

"The first one, but I would still be fully willing to take you to coffee even if I wasn't running late."

They throw their head back and laugh, "Thanks."

We both stop in front of a coffee shop and they open the door for me, seeing that my hands are full of their books.

"Thank you," I reply. 

We both go into the coffee shop for our incredibly spontaneous date. 

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Author's Note: I'm sorry that this is shit, but oh my God! We are so close to reaching 25 thousand reads. I think this book is at 24.8 thousand right now. 

Thank you all so much for reading this, and I'm sorry again that it's kind of shit.

xoxo Louise <3