Emperors New Clothes [Shoes]

The sound of the base pulsing entirely through my body, being completely enveloped in the music, the full roar of the crowd surrounding me. Concerts are fucking awesome. Too bad I was missing a free Panic! at the Disco concert because I have to work. 

"Hey Alexia!?" I look up from the boxes of sneakers I was stacking and walk out of the back storage room. Jamie is behind the desk and handing a customer their bags. I go over and stand next to him.

"You summoned me?" He nods in the direction of the door. A girl in a flannel and beanie is checking out the display of vans we have. 

"Okay," I reply, already walking towards the girl. She moves over to the converse section and I meet her there. 

"Hi! Welcome to Journey's. And I just want to say I love your shoelaces, I think they're really cool." The girl looks up at me, a deep blush spreading across her cheeks. 

"Thanks," she replies, her voice quiet. She looks down at her one rainbow and one white shoelace. I'd bet $10 on her being a bottom. 

"So what brings you into Journeys?" I ask her. She looks flustered. 

"Ahh, red converse," she says with a small laugh. 

"Alright high tops or the normal ones?" 

"Ummm high tops??" She says, sounding a little unsure. 

"What size?"

"I'm a size seven."

"Okay, I'll be right back then," I walk off to the back of the store, internally squealing at how adorably small her feet are. I go into the storage room and carefully step over the boxes I had left scattered on the floor when I was organizing them. Grabbing a red converse box I check to make sure it's the girls size before returning.

She's sitting in one of the chairs when I get back.

"Red high top converse, size seven," I say, proudly presenting her with the box. She opens the box and my heart immediately drops. They aren't high tops. Shit. 

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry. I guess someone put the boxes back all wrong, let me take these and go get the correct ones."

"That's okay, don't worry about it," she reassures me, and I instantly calm down. I didn't just fuck up badly in front of a cute girl. I grab the shoes and run to the back, once again dodging the boxes on the floor. I grab the correct pair of shoes and double check to make sure they're correct. 

Finally I head out with the correct shoe. Just before I get to where she's sitting, I grab a pair of socks.

She smiles at me when I come back. I hand her the correct box and she starts putting them on.

"I actually have this same exact pair of shoes. I bought them last December so I could go to a concert. And I stood out in the cold for like six hours, my feet were numb," I say, trying to start a conversation so I'm not awkwardly standing there. 

"Oh concerts are the best," she says her eyes lighting up.

"Yeah when I went, the lead singer had on the same shoes as me and I started freaking out," I reply. She laughs, her nose scrunching. She finishes tying her shoe and sits up. 

"I really like them," she says, a smile on her face.

I pick up the socks from where they are on the floor.

"So these socks here are great because they have a lot of support in the the sole so they're great for converse."

"That's a really good idea. I think I'll just take the shoes though this time," she responds. I nod, completely understanding. Payday is only once a month.

I grab the box of shoes and head up to ring her up at the register. She pays and I hand her the bag. Just before she's about to leave I stop her.

"You should definitely come back later for those socks."

"I will," she says, a large blush on her face. She leaves the store and I can't help but to glance at Jamie. He smiles at me.

"She's cute," he says, winking at me.

"Yeah, well I bet she's gay so fight me," He laughs at my response.

"Go stack your boxes," he says. I laugh and head back to the storage room.