XXXVIII

"Stick to the cards," Reno repeated for the tenth time, "everything you need is right in your hands. You thank the Capitol and the district for their genorosity, if you've allied with the district's fallen tribute, it'd be best for you to say something personal, give your condolences. Okay?"

"Okay." Cordelia said plainly.

"Then a small tour of the district, then the dinner, then on to the next district. Now most of the...higher districts won't be anything overwhelming but, they all do their best. Of course your district's will be the most festive for-"

There was a condescending tone in his voice, and he was getting on her nerves quicker than usual. She stopped to think about the fact that this was Reno's first games. Having a victor your first year must've left a good impression of him on the Capitol. An impression that has seemingly gone to his head.

"Thanks Reno, I think I got it." Her smile was so painful that Finnick had to hold his breath to keep his expression blank.

The escort left her to continue working through her breakfast, and a cup of coffee which Finnick had her add honey to. She had never tried it that way but, she would from now on. Reno came back, telling her it was time to dress, that'd they be in twelve within the hour.

"This is a lot, don't you think?"

Cordelia's eyebrows raised unsurely as she questioned the thick leather jacket over her shoulders. It was insilated with a fur that automatically brought the urge to sweat, matched with the same color and material of gloves, nature green pants, and knee-high leather boots, that at least didn't have the heels that she was usually thrown into. She had never worn anything so heavy.

"Oh, not for twelve," Caspian explained, "it'll be colder than you're probably used to, snow on the ground."

Her brown curls were once again natural, and tossed in an organized mess of a braid, her makeup still light, other than the brown colored liner on her lids, and the red tinted paint on her lips.

Now she was ready, the rest of the time afforded to her being used to sit on one of the cushiony sofa that was right in front of the train's wide window, overlooking the trees zooming by. The trees that, other than certain ones with what seemed like needles, had nothing but branches coated with the white powdery substance that Caspian had explained to her, the ground piled with the same weather. The air was polluted with a dark grey, almost black muggy cloud, from the coal being burned on the direct outskirts of the district's borough. That was all she could really make out before the scenery was replaced with the walls of the tunnel of the station.

"I'll see you to dress you for dinner," Caspian whispered, his hands squeezing her shoulders, "do great, read fast."

Cordelia chuckled at the joking tint in his eyes, and he lightly pushed her in the direction of the doors that would slide open any moment. Finnick was in the spot to greet her, wearing a dark brown jacket that draped to his knees, a beige sweater, as well as black pants and boots that matched the jacket. He had his hands behind his back and his lips tugged up in a smile. It was a tad too sympathetic for Cordelia but, it was a smile nevertheless.

"Ready?" His eyebrows danced teasingly.

"Oh sure," She grinned cheesily, with an overexaggerated thumbs up. Then, she feigned concern, "oh, there won't be cameras will there?"

Her sarcasm made him chuckle, his arm wrapping around her shoulder for a reassuring squeeze. She rested her head on his for a split second, until she heard the roars of the crowd and remembered anyone could see them in just a second.

And there they were.

Reporters, photographers, as well as a good sized crowd of citizens from twelve. As soon as she stepped off the train, she silently thanked Caspian for the jacket, glad she didn't question him further. Finnick trailed behind her, close enough to swoop in but far enough to disconnect them. No one seemed overly excited to see her face but, she considered that fair. Though, she didn't exactly feel the strong cloud of discontempt she had expected from them, and that was appreaciated. She tried to smile every time she made eye contact with someone but, for the most part she kept her gaze locked on where she would step next, the sludgy mud warranting more of her silent applause to Caspian's style choices. She was ushered by Reno to the back entrance of the district's Justice Building, where she shook hands with the mayor and went over the schedule again. Her speech was meant to take no more than five minutes.