VIII

Finnick nodded, his hands held tight behind his back.

He was staring at his tribute intently, watching her every move, "That's good."

"Didn't feel like it."

Cordelia blew out a frustrated breath, pushing a strand of hair out of her face.

She wiped the hair again, growing impatient at it's inability to cooperate. Finnick stepped closer to her, tucking the strand out of her face and behind her ear, it finally staying. He stepped behind her, putting his hands on her hips to fix her position.

"You're growing tired," He explained calmly, "your body's trying to give up on you. Don't let it. Stay strong."

Finnick ran his hand along her shoulder, correcting her form slightly before setting his grip over Cordelia's softly, moving it up the spear handle. His lips were right next to her ear, a chill running down her spine as he mumbled.

"Keep your form, just like that."

She took a deep breath when he stepped back, the warmth of his body leaving her completely.

"Hold your aim," Cordelia's eyes narrowed onto the target, she steadily pulled back her spear bringing the occupied hand back by her ear. Remaining calm. Remaining still, "and fire."

She whipped her hand forward, using all of the strength her arm would give her, the weapon reeling across the entirety of the training room and landing directly in the center of the target cut out to look like a human. She smiled, satisfied with her successful attempt.

"Perfect," Cooed Finnick softly. Cordelia celebrated silently, jumping up and down, pulling a laugh from the boy in front of her and a smile to her face, "I knew you could do it, you just had to let yourself in here."

His finger tapped her forehead playfully.

"You're just so sure of yourself huh tough guy?" She pushed him teasingly, before going to pull the wooden object out of the metal sheet it was lodged in and setting it back on the rack she took it from.

"I wouldn't say that," He smiled, her heart fighting the urge to flip, "I'm sure of you though."

Cordelia rolled her eyes, "If you keep talking to me like that, I'll either throw up or do something else that would be completely out of my contro-"

"Got it."

The pair laughed again as he opened the door for her.

"You're in pretty good shape," He admitted, walking side by side with her down the hall and to the elevator that would take them to the fourth floor, where they'd been staying, "I would definitely save your spearing for your final evalutaion, I think that's your strongest suit."

Cordelia nodded, taking in the advice, "I was thinking I could tie some traps too. I've gotten pretty good at it the past couple of days."

The last two days had been the same for her. She'd wake up, eat breakfast, go to training, eat lunch, train with Finnick, and eat dinner before going to sleep. One night he had come to her room and they talked each other to sleep. The other night she had laid awake and alone. Now the final evalutation was tomorrow morning, with the interviews being the next night and in just three short days, she'd be entering the arena.

"That's a good idea," Finnick agreed, "it'll be good to show them more than one skill, they'll be more likely to score you higher if they know you're good at mulitple things."

"Oh Finnick, I'm good at so many things you have no idea." She said jokingly.

He let the elevator door close before speaking up, "Like what?"