XXVI

"I'll grab the bags. I want you to stay back," Cordelia explained the plan, her hood still up to battle the bitter morning air, "Lucky's the only other one left so it'll be me against him."

Carter nodded to let her know he understood. The sun was starting to peak into the sky, hinting that the feast would start at any moment.

"Carter," She said, not continuing until his eyes were locked on her's, "stay here. If something happens to me you run, get the bags if you can but, don't put yourself against him. Got it?"

Carter narrowed his eyes.

"I need you to nod that you understand or, tell me if you have a better plan," Cordelia let the smirk fall onto her lips and Carter gave her a glare, "oh, nothing to say? That's what I thought."

They were propped up behind one of the dunes a few yards from the Cornicopia and when the announcement was made for the commencement of the feast, she would run as fast as she could for the three bags, only stopping to fight Lucky if it turned out to be unavoidable. Otherwise they'd all come back for him after they had what they needed. The odds of three against one were much better anyways.

Carter gave her another nod, this one was more hesitant though.

"Okay well if you decide to follow me and get killed it's on you." She mumbled.

That seemed to glue him into place. They worked through a bit of another food pack, having what small talk they could without Carter actually being able to say anything. She cracked a couple jokes, him laughing silently a few times. Then, another booming announcement began.

"Goodmorning tributes. May the feast commence."

Cordelia's face fell as the fact of what she was about to do set in completely. She sent the boy next to her a nod, before leaning and kissing his forehead gently. Then, she had to go.

"I'll be back," She whispered, "stay alive."

Carter pointed at her, then held up two fingers.

You. Too.

She smiled, clung her spear to who chest and took off.

Her feet moved swiftly over the sand, her hazel orbs locked on the small grey bags. There were four. Lucky hadn't arrived. This thought pushed her to run faster, ignoring the burning feeling in her lungs as she scooped up the bags. Starting with Carter's which was closest, then the bag with a seven, then finally her's. But her hand never made it to the bag with a four. Before she could grab it, she felt the small remainder of wind knocked out of her, her small frame being slammed into the ground, her chest feeling crushed at the sudden weight on her.

"So you had the nerve to come back?"

She opened her eyes to see the smirk Lucky had grown so famous for. It was a look a confindence. A look that meant he wished to tear her open then and there, give the viewers a show. His hand squeezed around her throat, her hands going over his grip as it tightened, stealing the rest of the air from her lungs.

"Don't worry, I'll keep you around long enough to make it worth it," He said through gritted teeth, "nothing like I did with Christian. Of course, you are far smarter than he was, aren't you?"

Cordelia narrowed her eyes. It was him. Of course it was him.

"Oh, I suppose you didn't know," Lucky grinned proudly, "don't worry it was rather quick. I snapped his neck just like he did to the boy from three. It was actually easy."

Cordelia squrimed, her chest burning more from anger than exhaustion now. She didn't consider herself fond of the boy who had accompanied her into these games but, they had their moments. Like the one where he saved her life. He had her right in his grip and let her walk away, ultimately at the cost of his own life. She used her anger, bringing her knee up harshly in between Lucky's legs, causing him to roll over and off of her in a flash of pain. She used the opportunity to grab one of the remaining knives in her belt, silently thanking herself for not giving them all away to Carter.