4| Shells.

Mackenzie's POV:

If I had known that this is how my week would go, I wouldn't have even gotten out of bed. But how am I going to pay for my university studies?

The car door opens, and my heart is in my throat because of what my new grandpa friend has asked me to do now. But, to be fair, he doesn't know my situation.

"Uncle Joe, I can't do this," I say, feeling awkward, and he takes my hand, laughing.

Don't ask why I'm calling him Uncle; he's just like an uncle. I know I'm crazy; I KNOW.

As I stand up from the car seat, ready to climb out, my phone rings.

It's my dad.

Thank you, Dad. Thank you for calling me.

"Yes, Dad?" I say, looking at Joe with sneaky eyes.

After a few minutes of Joe just standing there, looking around, I finally finish my chat with my dad; he just wanted to check up on me.

"My dad needs me, I'm sorry," I lied to his face. Please forgive me.

He immediately jumps in the Uber and takes me home. I just caught a bullet in my hands and threw it back to the shooter; I hope you all are proud of me.

I can't even imagine how this would've turned out if my dad didn't call me.

Pulling up in front of my driveway, I climb out of the Uber and say my goodbyes. I still can't believe I lied to an elderly person.

Stepping into the house, it smells amazing; my dad is an amazing cook. I wonder what he's making.

And I still can't believe he hasn't even noticed the mark on my cheek, but we can thank the foundation for that.

I chatted with my dad for a bit and went upstairs to my room.

"Hey girl, how are you doing?" I get a message from an unknown number.

I wonder who this is.

"It's Ella, by the way," I get a message just after that one.

Oh, the girl I met on my first day working at the restaurant. I responded, and we talked for a bit; she seems so nice.

She's the same age as me and is studying medicine. Imagine! I could never. She's a pretty nice girl, and she's really pretty, prettier than me for sure.

She started talking about a party she's throwing for her brother's 21st birthday party and invited me.

Should I go or should I stay at home? Should I lie that I'm sick or should I go? Which one should I choose? My mind is such a rollercoaster.

I don't like socializing, but this is my chance to get out a bit and hang out with Ella and see how she is in person and get to know her on a more personal level.

"Sure, I'll come, just send me the details," I respond, just when my dad calls me down for dinner.

Pulling out the dining room chair to sit down, I look over to my dad, who's patiently waiting for me to sit and say grace.