VIII

The darkness surrounded the base when the first steps were heard in the long corridors and empty rooms. The moon was shining on the other side of the sky while the sun was ready to rise on the complete opposite side. Never meant to meet, the two of them would let the curious looks of eyes travel along the circular outlines from somewhere far away. The full moon was hiding under the horizon, leaving the people with the worst sleep they would get in a long time.

Laughter passed through the training facility as the joke traveled from one ear to another. Gruntings, sounds of the hits against the hard surfaces, and endless conversations took over the room on a peaceful morning. The captain walked further into the facility looking for an empty corner for himself to clear his mind and start his day with something better than a cold breakfast.

"When the last you've shot something other than a syringe, eh?" John looked over the figure that was too well-known for the man not to notice in the crowd of sweaty men. Right there on the floor, he'd found an officer aiming for something unknown to his eyes.

"It's been a while," Amelia quickly glanced at Soap, as if both of them remembered something but none of them had chosen to speak about it out loud. Moments after, a look of the brown eyes shifted to the captain. The cold floor was supporting her body, as a brunette was lying with the weapon in her hands. For a moment, Knight let her eyes rest on the figure of the captain, noticing how the strong body of the man towered over her in the crowded room.

"Let me see," Price let one of his knees touch the floor, as his body lowered to see the four targets in front of a brunette. The captain noticed how the weapon looked in the direction of only one of them, understanding that on the ground that could be a lethal mistake. "Keep the focus on all the other targets too, outside of the base they would be shooting at you too, love."

"Okay, like that?" A woman shifted her body, moving to the side to keep the control in her hands. But, at the very same moment, the strong hand of a man adjusted her position, unknowingly sending the shivers down her skin.

"Just like that, dove," The captain's voice became noticeably softer and quieter as if the man was protecting their conversation from the curious listeners that could be around. The look of deep blue eyes traveled around the room, seeing people busy with their own things, and came back to the targets in front of their faces. "And always remember focused and cold mind."

"Don't mind me, John, but that's a bit hard to do in such a position," Amelia whispered when for the second time Price was adjusting the position of her hands. The quick, yet soft and almost intimate touch of the man's large hand fell on her lower back before his hands escaped her body just as fast as the soldiers were running outside of the base.

"Consider this a challenge, Lia," John looked into the brown eyes of the woman, with a hint of a smile on his face. The man let their eyes stay in eye contact before it became suspiciously too long for anyone to notice. One step after another Price was creating the distance between them longer, and some part of him was curious to see the outcome of a brunette's training.

"And I accept the challenge, captain," Knight looked once again at the man, a quick wink traveled to the side of the captain, telling with the whole facial expression of a woman that she was not planning on giving up or messing up the uncomplicated things. The two can play the game, but can the two write the rules for the game? 

"Good girl, would you make me happy and hit all the targets?" A loud clap in the man's hands almost drew the attention of the ones who were done with the training to the two, but the captain's words were too quiet to catch it for someone other than himself and a woman in front of him.

Amelia closed her eyes for a moment, feeling the tiredness that was building up in her body throughout the week being taken away by the sudden darkness. She tried to keep the same position the captain put her into, but from time to time the body of a woman would move to the side in betrayal. With each moment, the room was becoming noisier, making it harder to focus. But, a brunette did not have the whole day to lay on the cold floor. A gaze of the brown eyes came back from the darkness before the four loud shots brought silence for a quick moment into the room, and the bullets were flying in the direction of the four targets.

"Again, when was the last time you shot?" The captain crossed his arms at his chest, noticing the results of her shots and their conversation earlier. If it was a challenge, Knight had just passed it. And if it was a bet, Price had just lost it. "Still been awhile, Price, been awhile" Finally, Amelia let her body rise from the cold floor just to see the results. Two of the bullets got right into the target, while the other two hit close to it. A smile covered a woman's face when she looked back at the captain, making sure that they both could see the results.

"Good job, love," John took another step forward, checking the targets for the last time before removing them from the wall. The tired concrete wall had seen enough shoots, and Amelia's wasn't anything special to it.

"Thank you, captain, I had enough motivation," A brunette let her eyes fall on the captain's body for one more time, noticing how the wounds on his hand were unnoticeable at first glance. Amelia was caught way too fast by the man, but this time something changed the two deep blue eyes that were looking back at her. Or was it the first time when she noticed it?

"So, are you planning on having breakfast or not?" Soap's voice brought both of them back into the room, and soft laughter traveled around the room before the loud steps escaped out of the training facility into the corridor.