[ 12 ]

【 eliana's pov 】

with river and harper at her side, eliana waits for jamie after the game. she's nervous and has no idea why. it's just jamie.

he told her to wait outside in the parking lot for him and that he'd be out within a half an hour of the game ending. they're going on waiting for forty minutes. she's growing impatient.

"i think we should just go," she says after forty-five minutes of waiting. "i mean, he told me a half hour and it's been longer than that."

harper raises her eyebrows at her best friend. "i don't think so," she retorts. "you are not about to blow off jamie drysdale. i know you have this thing where you don't like hockey players, but it doesn't mean you can't be friends with one."

"that's not what this is about-"

"bullshit, el," harper interrupts. "that is what this is about. i'm not going to let you potentially ruin a great friendship. who knows? maybe jamie will be the player to change your mind."

yeah, right.

eliana isn't going to be trusting hockey players any time soon. not after luka.

it's five minutes later before the door behind the three of them opens. harper is the first one to turn around. she hits eliana on the shoulder and eliana turns around.

two guys walk out of the honda center. one of them stops and smiles when his eyes land on her.

that's jamie. she would recognize those freckled cheeks anywhere.

he's dressed in his game day suit as he approaches the small group of friends. eliana can't help but think about how good jamie looks in his black and white suit.

"hi," jamie breathes out when he's standing in front of eliana.

an involuntary smile forms on el's face. "hey," she replies. "nice goal tonight."

"thanks."

the guy next to jamie who is definitely trevor zegras looks between the two of them. "this is so painful to watch," he comments.

harper chimes in with, "the two most awkward people that have ever met."

"we're heading out with the team if you want to come," jamie suggests. "celebrate our win against the sharks." he pauses for a second. "i think it will be fun if you come though."

before eliana can even reply, harper says, "oh we are so in." eliana looks at her with raised eyebrows. "you cannot tell me that it wouldn't be fun to hang out with the anaheim ducks, el. you can get it know your new best friend."

it would be fun to hang out for the night. she has been wanting to hang out with jamie and this is her chance.

she thinks she's gonna regret it but she agrees to go anyway. somehow she trusts jamie even though they haven't gotten to hang out since they started talking.

in the car with harper and river, eliana says, "the two of you better not leave my side. i mean it."

"we promise."