[ 49 ]

【 eliana's pov 】

jamie goes off to take shots with his teammates so eliana takes the opportunity to talk to harper.

ever since her conversation with river earlier, she has wanted to get her best friend's side. especially since she knows that her brother wants to propose to her. she wants to make sure that harper isn't planning to breakup with him or something.

camryn hangs out with the guys so eliana gets her best friend alone at the booth in the back of the room for a minute.

"so, i talked to river earlier," she begins to say. "i wanted to get your side of what's going on with the two of you. i'm not going to play doctor and fix whatever is wrong but maybe i can help."

she looks across the table at eliana and puts her drink down. "it's a lot, el," she admits. "i'm seeing a lot of things i don't really like. first of all, the way he's treating you and trying to keep you from doing things. it's showing a side of him that i am not a fan of. he's your brother and he has you on such a tight leash. second of all, the comment he made about luka the other day was not okay. luka caused you so much pain and your brother thought making that comment was okay? we got into a fight after that and i haven't really spoken to him."

it's exactly what river thought was going on. he didn't tell her about the fight though.

"okay," eliana sighs as she tries to gather her thoughts. "he did apologize to me about the luka comment. i told him that jamie is just as protective as he is over me and he told me that he'd let up a little bit. he's my brother and i get why he is so protective of me."

harper nods and looks down at her drink. "i just don't like seeing this controlling side he apparently has," she mumbles just loud enough for eliana to hear her. "if you're his sister and he has you in this tight of a leash then what does that mean for me?"

"he knows you're a very independent woman that loves him and wants to be with him," she says. "i don't think he'd ever try this with you like he has with me. this is his protective brother side coming out. granted, he could've handled it a little differently but he does it out of love for me as his little sister. he doesn't want me to get hurt again."

her best friend is silent for a second. eliana can see the gears turning in her head. she's thinking. and she's thinking hard.

a cheer erupts from the bar and she looks over to see jamie and mason shotgunning a white claw. she shakes her head and looks back over at harp.

she runs her hands over her face. "i love your brother," she begins to say. "but if he ever tries this with me, i will leave his ass so quick."

"and you have my full permission to leave his ass if he ever tries this with you," eliana laughs. "you should go talk to him. i'll stay with jamie tonight so you have the apartment all to yourselves."

harper smiles and asks, "you're sure?"

"yeah, go," she says. "i'm fine. i'll call an uber for jamie and i so neither of us drive. call me and tell me what happens tomorrow."

her best friend quickly makes an exit from the bar and eliana sips her drink. jamie comes over when he sees her leave and eliana looks up at him. he drapes an arm over her shoulders as he slides next to her.

"everything okay?"

"just playing mediator between my brother and best friend," she admits. "happy that you get to drink with mason outside of the apartment?"

jamie laughs and nods. "absolutely," he replies.

"glad the three of you can finally drink together," she comments. "oh, i'm staying with you tonight. i told harper that she and river can have some well needed alone time tonight."

he nuzzles his face into her neck and mumbles, "sounds fine to me."

she runs her fingers through jamie's hair while he presses soft kisses to her skin. she smiles and just enjoys the moment that she's having with jamie.

his kisses trail up to her jaw and he turns her head so she's looking at him. even in the dark room, jamie's eyes are bright. his hair is still slightly damp from his postgame shower and his beard has started to grow out a little bit.

"i love that you're here," he comments. "wins mean so much more to me when you celebrate them with me."

without even giving it a second thought, eliana leans in and presses a soft, lingering kiss to his lips. jamie doesn't hesitate to deepen the kiss.

there's a soft voice in the back of her mind that's reminding her that she's in public. not only is she in public but she's in the same bar and is hanging out with the anaheim ducks. phones are everywhere.

yet, she doesn't care. she doesn't care who sees her kissing her boyfriend. she's so sick and tired of hiding her relationship.

all she wants to do is be able to be affectionate with jamie without worrying about who's taking a picture or video of them.

jamie cups her cheek and she has to resist every urge she has to climb onto his lap because her neck hurts from just turning her head to kiss him. the idea alone has her legs shaking.

whistles start coming from the bar area. jamie pulls away and looks behind him at his teammates. "get a room, jimmy!" trevor shouts across the room. jamie flips him off and eliana laughs as she wraps her arms around his neck.

"we should go home," she says as she presses a few kisses to his jaw. "wouldn't want anyone to see what i want to do to you."

he immediately looks down at her and she gives him the most innocent smile she can.

"yeah, call an uber right now."