His Lifeline

"Why am I making you wait six more months?" She asked as Ijin nodded, making her smirk while picking up her pace and out speeding him, "Because I like to be a pain in the ass, Ijin." She ran ahead on the track as he struggled to keep up, something thought to be impossible for Ijin, but Jia was just that good. Which was one of the reasons it terrified him at the thought, of having to fight one on one with her. "005?" She asked after they later ended up at the mystery woman's house, with Dayeon and Gramps in tow following them seeing Ijin with 005 at a park. "Well, both of you are like family to me just as much as they are." Maya was stunned to hear that from Midnight, who had then told her in a whisper without Ijin hearing, "My name is --- --- ----- --. Now go, you need to keep moving."

Maya punched Ijin before she left in anger, which shocked Dushik and Hyeongshik who were nearby with Dayeon's tupperware, and surprised that anyone could knock Ijin down. 

=================================================

Teenage Mercenary | Read it on Webtoon!

=================================================

"So what did you tell her?" Ijin was like a puppy ever since I told Maya my real name, which made making him wait more torturous in the long run, but I needed time to prepare. "To keep moving and kick 032's but for me." He pouted but I would never tell him until that day, because I promised myself and the old artifact, that I would never open myself up to others recklessly. Which really meant at all, unless I truly cared or they earned my trust. 'Come to think of it...I said I would visit Kalk and Grenwic soon...'

[Another Country]

"Hey, guys." Both the little pink menace and the green one tackled me in a hug, "We missed you so much, Midnight!!" After a brief mission to get Yeongho home, I returned to Korea where everyone missed me as well. But I got a call from Ijin to go to Major Kang's post, though I had no idea why since I didn't really know the guy. "Hello, Major." He was surprised to see me but I was even more than him, when Ijin claimed we were dating to the whole base. 'What the actual fuck, Ijin!!!!!?!' Luckily no one took him seriously, but I was still shaken since...my own feelings were too complicated for even me to decipher, it was why I was keeping Ijin away from me. That didn't stop me from being dazed though, when I was tasked to back Ijin up with his investigation on Mr. Choi, Jiye's father's right hand. 'I need to get it together!' Slapping my face, I managed to catch a glimpse of Ijin putting the Major in a car as per his plan, making me jump down to deal with the people that Choi hired.

"We got it done, but it seems they were going to try to make him out as a criminal." Jiye grew angry when she heard this news, so she had us keep tabs on Choi's movement as well as her father's for the Major's safety. "Well, we should get to the heart of this nest as soon as possible. Don't you think, Ijin?" He nodded while throwing me on the back of a motorcycle he stole from one of the thugs, driving to where I tracked Choi's phone after he called Seungho with a burner. Taking him out quickly as Ijin secured the evidence for me, and ending Jiye's brief meeting with her father like she planned from the start. "Let's go home, Ijin." He grabbed my hand as we walked away from the mess we made, but I couldn't tell him why I knew him or rather so much about him...because to do so would terminate my employment, and therefore terminate myself as a member of KSOTDEW.

[Iron - Main Camp] [Years Prior]

"Here, they always give me food because my looks fool them." He took them hesitantly as Mad Dog watched us from afar, then leaned on my shoulder with his head which made me freeze. "Thanks...for always looking out for me." A pang of guilt hit my heart as I nodded, eating my ration without glancing at him, "We're friends. Why wouldn't I help you, kid?" His head snuggled further into my shoulder as a quiet sigh left me, 'This kid....how does he even have this side to him when he can kick the ass of one of his grown up comrades with ease?' Though he did look really cute while he was snuggling me, which I didn't think was possible given how ruthless he could be. 'I hope...that I can one day show you who I am.'

[Present]

"You seem kind of out of it. You okay, Jia?" Yeona pat my shoulder as I gave a tired nod, having been kept up by memories from my past...my childhood. Most of which involved a young Ijin, who relied one me like I was his older sister along with 005. 032 and 006 being the closest thing he had to brothers, with everyone else openly antagonizing them because of their status as "numbers". To be more specific, as "number" candidates for their new unit, with myself being assigned as their medic due to the camp hiring me through my boss. 'I should get him some cold meds...' I thought after seeing that Ijin was fighting through his fever, like Mad Dog had taught his unit to. That asshole never wanted any of them to show weakness, which meant fighting even when you were sick.

"Hello, I brought some medicine for Ijin." His grandpa welcomed me in with his sister, and I went into his room after having chopped up some fruit for him...though, he was conked out in his clothes on the bed. "You keep doing this even though we're practically adults now, Jin." Changing him out of his clothes carefully, I tucked him under his bed sheets while placing the meds by the fruit on his nightstand, "Good night, Jin." 

=================================================

"....she was...." My head didn't hurt as much but I could've sworn I heard her voice. The voice of the girl, who practically became the surrogate big sister of my unit, our lovely unnamed medic. "...Jia came over here to take care of me..?" Dayeon told me that my friend had taken care of me, and been the one to change my clothes for me, even chopping up the fruit I ate for breakfast. "She cares about you a lot, so take great care of her as a friend okay?" ....Then it hit me. The answer to the question I had wondered and probed Jia about for weeks. '....She's....the medic my unit had....she was...they're the same person.'

=================================================

To be continued...

=================================================