CHAPTER 3: GETTING UPSET

Yeonjun's heart was still beating rapidly, even though it must have been several hours ago

Yeonjun's heart was still beating rapidly, even though it must have been several hours ago. He was sitting in the corner next to his bed and had thrown his entire sports bag into the middle of the room, scattering his clothes around the room. He didn't know how to react to this realization.

Should he run away?

No, then he wouldn't know where to go for the life of him.

Should he rebel?

No, he knew he wouldn't win.

But he was sure of one thing: he didn't belong here and he couldn't explain why his mother had made this decision.

To get back at him?

To show him that his behavior was wrong?

But then why did she punish him so mercilessly and put him in a place like this?

"Lunatic asylum," Yeonjun shivered, feeling like a lunatic himself and could have torn out all his hair. He rubbed the palm of his hand up and down his arms, feeling like he was freezing to death, and when he realized the pain in his ankle again, he became angry. Angry at the nice doctor who had treated him as if he were made of porcelain, as if he could go off like a bomb at any moment. At the ever-smiling nurse who had never taken his eyes off him. And angry at the manager who had crossed his path on the very first day, who hadn't said a word about the actual purpose of Yeonjun's stay.

But also at himself for not noticing it sooner.

He was incredibly angry, trying to control his breathing, but he plucked nervously at the wound on his lip. Hundreds of thoughts raced through his head, and he could still feel the lump in his throat from when he had seen the blood on the boy's arms. He could have screamed so loudly that everyone would have heard him. That even all the residents here could hear him, who were enjoying their dinner. And yes, he was hungry too, and he had actually been looking forward to the plate of ramen he had been promised all day. His stomach had been growling for what felt like an eternity, but he knew that if he ate anything now, he would just throw up. He felt as if he was going to vomit his aching heart onto the floor.

If this worked, he would have had a chance to get rid of the pressure on his chest. Trembling, scratching his index finger on his thumb, Yeonjun got up on his weak, long legs. He swallowed several times to get rid of the lump and finally lay down in bed, covering his whole body and head with the blanket. He didn't want to see anyone, especially not Shotaro, who had looked at him with knowing eyes. Under the blanket it was dark, black, and in the fetal position he felt as if he was protected. As if his armor had to be broken first in order to get to his true nature. And this armor was vital for Yeonjun's survival.

It was the only thing he could hold on to.

Still listening to his own heartbeat, he closed his eyes, hoping he could just fall asleep and wake up at home. At the moment, he wasn't sure if he even wanted to go home. But this question plagued him, repeating itself over and over in his head until he finally dozed off from exhaustion.